share rss forum feed

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
join:2004-09-15
Hamilton, ON
reply to Styvas

Re: Vehicle Storage Insurance

Interesting. Just got off the phone with BelAir Direct. Their auto premiums are ridiculously low (in general, not just storage insurance). I'm baffled at why they are less than 50% of anyone else. However, because we had a claim on our house insurance greater than $5,000, they won't insure the house. Even at that, I could get the house insured with someone else and use them for auto and still save hundreds of dollars.

Can anyone think of a compelling reason not to do this?
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Bel air is okay with the rotty?

Odd personal would even ask if you have a dog, I don't recall that being a criteria when we shopped for home insurance.

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON
I don't know about BelAir's opinion on dogs. They won't insure us because of a past claim over $5,000. It never got to the dog question. It's The Personal that wouldn't insure us because of the Rottie.
--
"Moving your Tylenol to the low shelf in your medicine cabinet is not the way to prevent children from falling off a stool when reaching for the top shelf." (said by Savant, May 2008)

dirtyjeffer
Anons on ignore, but not due to fear.
Premium
join:2002-02-21
London, ON
reply to koira
said by koira:

Odd personal would even ask if you have a dog, I don't recall that being a criteria when we shopped for home insurance.

i use the Personal...their rates are half what most other big companies are as i am in a group rate plan...the catch is, they only accept the lowest risk clients...a coworker just switched their insurance from State Farm to the Personal as her husband works for Magna...State Farm was $740/month for 3 cars and their home (they have 2 teenagers insured as occasional drivers)...their insurance is now $350/month...she pretty much shit her pants at how much money they wasted over the years staying with State Farm (had been with them for 25 years).
--
People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

- George Orwell

Styvas
Go Canucks Go
Premium
Hamilton, ON
I'm also part of a group that has access to them. If they only take "low risk" clients, then they probably shouldn't advertise group plans. That kind of defeats the purpose of the group.
--

Mike2009

join:2009-01-13
Ottawa, ON
kudos:3
reply to Styvas
I`ve been with Belair for about 15 years and no one else can beat their price when I shop around every few years. I`ve had two claims and both were quickly handled and the customer service was awesome. I highly recommend them.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

1 edit
said by Mike2009:

I`ve been with Belair for about 15 years and no one else can beat their price when I shop around every few years. I`ve had two claims and both were quickly handled and the customer service was awesome. I highly recommend them.

Belair was the first insurance company I was, but then they just started jacking up my rates for no reason and since then they're now one of the most expensive I could buy from if I wanted to.

Edit - just did another quote with them now, and they're $1300 more a year - more than double - than my current insurance company. Don't know what the hell is up with them, but whatever.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
I remember years ago when I tried to go with them they wouldn't take me on as a client because my credit rating wasn't good enough (I was 18). Even if they were cheaper for me, I wouldn't give them my business now.
--
Tom

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
That's illegal in Ontario, for auto insurance at least.

TLS2000
Crazy Canuck
Premium
join:2004-02-24
Mississauga, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
said by Gone:

That's illegal in Ontario, for auto insurance at least.

Was it 16 years ago? I can't recall. I do know that they refused to carry me because of my credit.
--
Tom

koira
Keep Fighting Michael
Premium
join:2004-02-16
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to Styvas
said by Styvas:

I don't know about BelAir's opinion on dogs. They won't insure us because of a past claim over $5,000. It never got to the dog question. It's The Personal that wouldn't insure us because of the Rottie.

My point was they didn't consider the dog but Personal view dogs , well rotties as a risk. You and I know your dog is fine but it's ignorant how they get away with profiling their little matrix and who they pick and choose rates to charge customers. Such is the insurance business. Magic 8 ball for quoting on rates ?