how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

ba1drick

join:2004-07-01
Baraboo, WI
reply to ba1drick

Re: One visible SSID broadcasted by 2 routers?

I kinda suspected that it was particular Linux OS causing it but I still have to check it out with Windows.

Both SSIDs have to be the same, because wireless security cameras I am using must have specified SSID they connect to. I still have to figure out how to optimize it, so each camera connects to strongest signal, while being able to fall to another router if one fails for whatever reason.

Right now, if I reboot router they are connected to, they all automatically connect to the 2nd router. But it's all or none situation.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

i assume the security cameras and wifi units are mounted and not mobile. why cant they connect to 1 specific AP?

ba1drick

join:2004-07-01
Baraboo, WI

Security cameras are awesome Sharx outdoor units (I have 4 of them). Yes, mounted on the house and garage. 1 router on the 1st floor and 2nd router on the 3rd floor.

I don't want them to be bound to just 1 AP in case that AP fails. I want be able to monitor this location while being away (which is easy using DDNS and either a smartphone or just another PC)

As I mentioned, I would like to be able to set them up so each camera picks the strongest signal first (it looks like each AP hooks strongest on 2 different cameras), but I have no idea how to do it or even if it's doable without 2 separate SSIDs which would beat the fallback advantage.

tomdlgns
Premium
join:2003-03-21
Chicago, IL
kudos:1

what if your internet goes down but both APs are online? you have the redundant SSID setup for nothing. what if a breaker trips?

i guess what i am saying is.....i think your APs will be fine while you are gone. if not, try another brand.

i am not trying to get you away from your original plan/question, but sometimes it is good to talk about why you want to do something a certain way.