Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to oneirodyne

Premium Member

to oneirodyne

Re: [Connectivity] self install question

If you do run your own wire, use a good quality RG 6 cabling and use Snap n Seal fittings (available at Lowe's Depot). I would also go the extra mile and finish the inside outlet with a wall plate. I don't like it when installers cut corners and just pull cabling through the wall/floor and just terminate the end of it.

They will have to install a grey box (similar to a telco demarc) where the cable comes in because NEC now requires that ground blocks installed outdoors must be in a weather resistant housing. When I was living in Iowa, the cableco there installed a weatherproof box for the ground block that was large enough to house 20 ground blocks (although I think splitters now need to be in weatherproof enclosures as well).

My ground block and splitters are in the basement on the ceiling adjacent to the electrical panel.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by IowaCowboy:

I would also go the extra mile and finish the inside outlet with a wall plate. I don't like it when installers cut corners and just pull cabling through the wall/floor and just terminate the end of it.

A direct connection to the cable modem (with no intermediate wall plate splice connection) is only a "cut corner" if it is done against your wishes. The OP has already stated that a simple direct connection is exactly what is wanted in this particular case.
Phil T
join:2007-10-05
Littleton, CO

Phil T to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I just had a new install (internet only) and they did not install a box. They did install a the ground block and ground rod but just bolted it to the siding. They used my RG6 that I had run from the modem and put on their connectors.