Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

[iPad] For those that "pooh-pooh'd" the market demand of the min

The iPad mini has even taken Apple by surprise. DisplaySearch says the Cupertino company initially ordered 6 million units for 2012, but it’s now asking panel makers to double that number during the fourth quarter. Next year, the device is expected to reach 50 million units, accounting for half of all iPads sold.
“In 2013, it is likely that Apple will adjust its product portfolio to meet the strong demand for the iPad Mini. We believe that Apple is targeting total iPad shipments of 100 million in 2013, half accounted for by the iPad Mini,” said DisplaySearch analyst David Hsieh wrote.

Read more at »www.cultofmac.com/206121/ipad-sh···YH27g.99

»www.cultofmac.com/206121/ipad-sh···-report/
--
♬ Music is life ♬

haroldo

join:2004-01-16
united state
kudos:1

Re: [iPad] For those that "pooh-pooh'd" the market dem

I don't think it was the demand for the mini that was the question/issue but rather the cannibalization of the full sized that is of concern.
The jury is still out...

Nezmo
The name's Bond. James Bond.
Premium,MVM
join:2004-11-10
Coppell, TX
reply to darcilicious

What is evident is that Apple is now following rather than setting the trend. They simply didn't want to miss out on the smaller screen market that others had already started fulfilling (or the larger screen market on smart phones, lol).
--
My Gallery
Formerly Nezmo

haroldo

united state

What is evident is the growth curve that affects all companies is hitting them smack in the face.
All companies go through a rapid growth phase and then their markets start to mature...and then you get ... "exciting new logos and redesigned packaging" (just ask the folks at Coca Cola).
The same holds true for tech companies.
Apple (2006-2011) grabbed all the low hanging fruit ...the battle of iPhone versus an aging (dying) Blackberry was over in the first round TKO for Apple!...and Apple sucked up a ton of new customers...the same held true for iPad which had a two year run without competition.
But, as the natural laws of the free market hold...competitors start showing up and nipping at your heels. Eventually, when you run out of magic tricks (no more "ultra wow" innovative products) you start tweaking...so you get multi color iPods, an iPad that's 1.75" smaller (!!!!!!) and an iPhone where you put in a new connector!!!! (is that a change? yes! is it improvement in functionality??? doubtful).
I'm oversimplifying the product line, but it's safe to say, Apple is now in the later innings and they're going to compete with forces from every angle...and it will squeeze their margins.

Just MHO and for the record, I love Apple and all their products...but eventually every company shifts from a fast growing company to a mature one...Dell, Microsoft, Hewlett Packard and Research in Motion were young once.
Getting old sucks...even young-uns age.
Apple is aging. They're not dead, not by a long shot, but there's a lot of tablets and smartphones on the market.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH

said by haroldo:

What is evident is the growth curve that affects all companies is hitting them smack in the face.
All companies go through a rapid growth phase and then their markets start to mature...and then you get ... "exciting new logos and redesigned packaging" (just ask the folks at Coca Cola).
The same holds true for tech companies.
Apple (2006-2011) grabbed all the low hanging fruit ...the battle of iPhone versus an aging (dying) Blackberry was over in the first round TKO for Apple!...and Apple sucked up a ton of new customers...the same held true for iPad which had a two year run without competition.
But, as the natural laws of the free market hold...competitors start showing up and nipping at your heels. Eventually, when you run out of magic tricks (no more "ultra wow" innovative products) you start tweaking...so you get multi color iPods, an iPad that's 1.75" smaller (!!!!!!) and an iPhone where you put in a new connector!!!! (is that a change? yes! is it improvement in functionality??? doubtful).
I'm oversimplifying the product line, but it's safe to say, Apple is now in the later innings and they're going to compete with forces from every angle...and it will squeeze their margins.

Just MHO and for the record, I love Apple and all their products...but eventually every company shifts from a fast growing company to a mature one...Dell, Microsoft, Hewlett Packard and Research in Motion were young once.
Getting old sucks...even young-uns age.
Apple is aging. They're not dead, not by a long shot, but there's a lot of tablets and smartphones on the market.

Agreed.

I once read a comment that our society was in decline because the last technology advanced thing we did was land on the moon. Everything that came after that was just an improvement of something that was already existing. That innovation has slowed down.

Now if Apple came out with a device that you wore over your eyes and were able to use just by hand jesters in thin air, now that would be kool.
Or a true 3d screen.
Where you lay it down on a table top and the images stand above it. You can twirl the "projector" and get a different view of the scene.

Currently the last great thing for computers was the tablet. Now maybe a wearable computer, or a computer that you wear on your wrist like a watch.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to darcilicious

One day, you will use the opposite of pinch finger gesture and the iPad will change size in a few seconds. There will be those who complain the size change doesn't occur fast enough.

Seriously, exponential growth always slows. There are 7 billion people and about 2 billion (or more) are in poverty, so at some point the remaining 5 billion all have smart phone/ pad devices, and the replacement/upgrade is some fraction of that per year. Some new features will shorten the cycle, some not.

Me, I think the move to flash from hard drives was met with resistance, but now it made perfect sense. The iPad mini, in between the iPhone/iPod and the full iPad made sense as well. Maybe some cannibalization, maybe not.

The next step is for the mini to be bundled with service. $99 (or even $49) up front, but then a service plan for 18 months. Yes, it will compete with Kindle, Nook, etc.

haroldo

united state

1 recommendation

said by joetaxpayer:

.... There are 7 billion people and about 2 billion (or more) are in poverty,...

I understand the administration is working on an emergency executive order to provide free iPhones and iPads to the 2 billion people around the world living in poverty. It's called the Antipoverty Equalization of Intellectual Opportunities United (AEIOU). It's really not fair that the rich can play Angry Birds any time they want and the poor can't! A new tax on of millionaires and billionaires, defined as anyone earning above $45,000, will be used to pay for the program.
As such, bright new markets for Apple are opening up!

(For the record, this was an off topic sarcastic reply...I'm sure someone will "hey mod" this...or worse, go into a rant how the rich are somehow obligated to have their money taken away and given to the poor...this was just a lighthearted attempt at humor. The sad aspect is that this will probably happen sooner or later)

joetaxpayer
I'M Here Till Thursday

join:2001-09-07
Sudbury, MA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by haroldo:

The sad aspect is that this will probably happen sooner or later)

I know humor or sarcasm when I read it. And you've been around a while, too.

What's interesting (and yes, off topic) is that there are those who are charitably trying to push technology into the poorest areas. A kiosk with touch screens plopped into African impoverished towns find kids who visit, and with no instructions, manage to navigate and learn. The OLPC (One laptop per child) effort is an attempt to bring computing to the masses. It may not happen in my lifetime, but it would be amazing if education could raise the lower 1/3 of the world out of poverty.