uniqs
share rss forum feed

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
reply to heymang

Re: [DTA] Are DTA boxes with HD coming out any time soon?

said by heymang:

He's definitely not correct as I'm using an HDTV with QAM tuner now and I do not get all the basic channels. If you subscribe to their lowest service, limited basic, you will still need a DTA to view all the channels even if you have an HDTV.

The definition of "Limited Basic" for Comcast is the local OTA broadcast stations along with some local government and education channels: »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···c-cable/

Unless Comcast had already received a waiver for your area/system, those local broadcast channels should not have been encrypted yet.

said by heymang:

In my area they start encrypting the basic channels a couple weeks ago. I receive zero channels on my old analog set now.

You're not confusing the digital migration (elimination of all analog channels) with encryption are you? After Comcast's digital migration in an area, all older TVs with only NTSC analog tuners must use some kind of box to get any channels off the cable: »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···igration and »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···m-tuner/

said by heymang:

With the HDTV's QAM tuner, I get some channels (local networks in HD) while others are now encrypted (local networks in SD, Discovery channel, etc.)

The requirement was that cable companies not encrypt the channels carrying the local broadcast stations' signals. Since most of those stations transmit only in HD, any SD versions that Comcast may be providing themselves, and other cable channels (like Disney, Discovery, etc.), were/are allowed to be encrypted.

said by heymang:

I imagine those channels I'm getting via clear QAM will eventually be blocked too.

Yes, it appears that's just a matter of time now: »Re: Say goodbye to ClearQAM

heymang

join:2008-07-03
said by telcodad:

The definition of "Limited Basic" for Comcast is the local OTA broadcast stations along with some local government and education channels: »customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···c-cable/

Unless Comcast had already received a waiver for your area/system, those local broadcast channels should not have been encrypted yet.

In my area, Limited Basic includes more channels than just those you mentioned. For example Discovery, Ion, and TV Guide channel, are advertised as limited basic channels. Ion is not yet encrypted over QAM though yet.

telcodad
Premium
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:15
said by heymang:

said by telcodad:

In my area, Limited Basic includes more channels than just those you mentioned. For example Discovery, Ion, and TV Guide channel, are advertised as limited basic channels. Ion is not yet encrypted over QAM though yet.

Yes, Discovery and TV Guide channel are not local OTA broadcast stations, while Ion most likely is and that's why it's still provided in Clear QAM.

logger

join:2012-06-14
Carmel, NY
reply to telcodad
said by telcodad:

Even if the channels are not encrypted yet, a cable system can foul-up the digital signal configuration in a way that prevents a TV with a QAM tuner from being able to reliably tune to at least some of the channels. The local Comcast system did it. I reported the problem. After many months they partially fixed the problem, later undid the fix, and lost me as a customer.