Retired
Premium
join:2001-12-30
USA
kudos:1
reply to CylonRed

Re: Theoretical Question

said by CylonRed:

I think you will find Mercedes have their own issues with repair costs and reliability. It would be VERY important to do all checking with the specific model you are looking at. Adding in a performance customizer (basically AMG) and the repair costs can go up steeply.

Cost is not a problem, but spending time going to and from a repair facility isn't what I want to do. Reliability is important.

Any suggestions for sites showing reliability ratings for some of the exotic cars other than going into each specific online forum? Thanks.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
I knew someone who had a Jaguar. It had an oil leak. He asked the shop how much it would cost to fix. They replied, "How much can you spend?"

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to Lone Wolf
IMHO - you will get solid advice at a good forum for a specific make - sorry. So many people on those forums have had cars and can't just compete with places like Edmunds. I would go with Kelly/Edmunds to get general ideas then go to specific forums. You will have to find the good people among the chaff of jackasses that abound at every forum.

For BMW - the folks at E46Fanatics have several forums for other newer series (like the E90x series and now F series). BMW also has a magazine (well the BMWCCA does) called Roundel. It is fantastic and does not tow the BMW company line because it is not a BMW owned/run magazine. Near the back is a column by Mike Miller:
»www.bmwblog.com/2010/10/18/inter ··· agazine/

Fantastic guy and advice... See if you can get a hold of magazines - heck - you can probably email Mike Miller directly and he will answer any and all questions you might have about a BMW - new or old with no sugar to make the news go down easier.

I own an older E46 330i (2001) - I do love it and I bought it with just under 150K miles. They have things to be mindful of - cooling system will need to be replaced every 100K miles. The headliner will likely fall if kept for a long time. The early years of the paddle shifting automatics - sucked (I have a true manual). I know the earlier M 3's (E30, 36, 46) need their valves adjusted about every 30K miles. Not sure about the newer E90 and F series.

They will have sensors - tons of them. Newest BMW's don't have an oil dipstick or a spare tire - but then many of the newest cars don't have them either. This is one reason my 3 series will probably be my only and last BMW. I know my oil level sensor is bad - I know it is bad because I can use the dipstick to check. Can't do that with the newer BMWs.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ
kudos:1
no spare? Even my Chevy Cruze has a spare. I would expect when moving up to a 50K+ car it should come with a spare and the scissor jack that cars have always had.
--
[65 Arcanist]Filan(High Elf) Zone: Broadband Reports

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Nope - run flats instead to save room and weight. It is a huge issue in the BMW CCA right now - had 5-8 letters on the dipstick and spare issue for at least 5 months this year.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
said by CylonRed:

Nope - run flats instead to save room and weight.

But not to save money!