join:2012-08-17
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse

2 edits

Are New Speeds Still Coming?

Anyone know of the new speed tiers are still coming or is it just something to show around so they get attention :P? Hoping that we'll someday get a pair bond/vectoring install when it comes out lol. VRAD is right on our lawn. We're also on a coax install with wiring that's a little old.

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
Click for full size
Click for full size
Click for full size

UverseTech2

join:2012-08-04
Unfortunately you are approx 700ft from box, pair bonding requires approx 3K give or take a few hundred ft.

As far as your coax I would do a test with your dvr and use a cat from the 3801 and I think you will see a great deal of improvemet. I personally would use cat5 for all boxes, but the dvr at a minimum. Also I would assume the tech is feeding the rg from the NID with coax as well, it's the default for most techs unfortunately. If poss run your own cat 5 from nid directly to rg, move it if its easier, I suggest right next to the dvr and backfeed the rest of the coax from there. This way you can just plug in a cat5 patch cable from the rg to dvr.

Good luck

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
kudos:1
reply to Darknessfall
Somehow I doubt that the new speeds will be coming anytime soon. If they do, they will definitely require pair bonding for most folks.

Darknessfall
Premium
I'm thinking the same .

Whyyou421

@comcast.net
reply to WhyMe420
He might not need pair bonding. The speed upgrades going to be done with line vectoring and utilization of additional spectrum. You're line seems to not have that much crosstalk interference, so you might only see your max sync rate jump to 80mbps. As of now uverse uses upto 8.5MHz on your VDSL2 line, so they will be using spectrum up to 12MHz. If those two things still don't qualify you for faster speeds then pair bonding will installed. As of now your 3800/3801 gateways simply need a software upgrade to handle a vectored line. For the additional spectrum, AT&T will need new RGs

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
said by Whyyou421 :

He might not need pair bonding. The speed upgrades going to be done with line vectoring and utilization of additional spectrum. You're line seems to not have that much crosstalk interference, so you might only see your max sync rate jump to 80mbps. As of now uverse uses upto 8.5MHz on your VDSL2 line, so they will be using spectrum up to 12MHz. If those two things still don't qualify you for faster speeds then pair bonding will installed. As of now your 3800/3801 gateways simply need a software upgrade to handle a vectored line. For the additional spectrum, AT&T will need new RGs

»www.pace.com/americas/products/g···l/5233n/

Zoder

join:2002-04-16
Miami, FL
reply to Whyyou421
According to Dave Burstein at DSL Prime, vectoring is only going to be available on new builds. Existing uverse won't be upgraded unless the competitive situation changes.

»fastnetnews.com/dslprime/42-d/48···sinesses.

quote:
From now on, every new build that’s mostly under 3,000 feet should be vectored. Up to 300 meters, speeds are proving out at 70-100 meg down, 10-40 up. AT&T hasn’t suggested they would upgrade the existing 30M lines, so only the last 10% of U-Verse is likely to benefit. It should add less than $200M to the overall U-Verse cost. Existing vendors Alcatel and Adtran hope for the contract, while Calix is trying to edge in. Only Alcatel is publicly shipping vectored DSLAMs, but Adtran and Calix are working to catch up.

In Germany, there are 12M or more homes to upgrade; Britain, France and Italy also have many non-upgraded lines that would be natural. At this year’s BBWF, it was clear the technical problems are fast being solved. But Britain and France are holding back on vectoring because it’s not clear how it will work with unbundling. The three countries have prices 30-50% lower than the U.S. because they have four wireline competitors. They don’t want to give that up.

AT&T has for years had a contingency plan to use vectoring and bonding if customers in volume leave for 100 megabit cable. That isn't in the data, and Randall publicly says "20-30 megabits will be competitive for many years." In fact, AT&T has been holding market share in U-Verse areas where they only offer 10-15 megabits. To do a full upgrade to vectoring would bring 70-100 megabits to the majority of U-Verse homes for about $2B/year for three years. That's a plausible investment but they've given no indication they will pull the trigger unless cable gets much more aggressive. U-Verse is built to a 5-6,000 foot standard; vectoring improvements fall off dramatically after 2,000 feet. So many of the U-Verse homes will not see speedups even if AT&T moves ahead aggressively.

Darknessfall
Premium
Well now you make me sad . Hopefully with Comcast trying to keep up with Verizon in our state will make AT&T actually do something here.

UverseTech2

join:2012-08-04
reply to Zoder
As a tech I have done a few pairbond installs in the 2-3k range and would see speeds up to 100 on several customers. But the key to this upgrade is to activate each uverse customer with a second pair.

This is the major sticking point in all PB installs, most areas the techs struggle because lack of training or just being exposed to the techniques I&R uses. When I was in Dallas, Houston and even San Antonio, most techs would end up doing a subpar install or kicking the job to I&R.

I could never see the possibility of a complete upgrade, they don't have enough qualified techs, and if they don't act fast the cable speeds will be untouchable.

Michail
Premium
join:2000-08-02
Boynton Beach, FL
reply to Darknessfall
I may ditch AT&T when Comcast has the newer X1 set top boxes available.

Bill Neilson
Premium
join:2009-07-08
Arlington, VA
reply to Darknessfall
I wouldn't be surprised if we saw one coming soon for those relatively close to a center.

Then again, with those new speeds will come higher prices....well, unless an actual competitor is in your areas besides AT&T and UVerse is forced to compete with them.

Whyyou421

@comcast.net
reply to Darknessfall
"Finally, AT&T announced plans to implement additional DSL technologies such as bonding and vectoring to increase speeds on DSL.

By end of 2015:

90% U-verse customers up to 75Mbps
75% U-verse customers up to 100Mbps
80% IP-DSLAM customers up to 45Mbps
50% IP-DSLAM up to 75Mbps"

»broadbandtrends.com/blog1/2012/1···-ip-vip/

WhyMe420
Premium
join:2009-04-06
Clever nickname. I'm flattered . Looks like I was right, not anytime soon... Bonding for existing builds, vectoring for new builds.

I currently have the 24/3 Internet, 32/5 profile, ~750-800ft of line between me and the VRAD, 52Mbps Max Rate, I'll probably need pair bonding. That is if I still have AT&T by the end 2015...

Darknessfall
Premium
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
·Comcast
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to Whyyou421
said by Whyyou421 :

"Finally, AT&T announced plans to implement additional DSL technologies such as bonding and vectoring to increase speeds on DSL.

By end of 2015:

90% U-verse customers up to 75Mbps
75% U-verse customers up to 100Mbps
80% IP-DSLAM customers up to 45Mbps
50% IP-DSLAM up to 75Mbps

»broadbandtrends.com/blog1/2012/1···-ip-vip/

By end of 2015 ;(. By the time that comes cable and fiber will be stepping on U-verse's throat till it dies lol.