jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

iPad Facebook Issues

The Mrs has a 3rd gen iPad that has worked pretty much flawlessly until fairly recently. Her main gripe is with Facebook, it's not responding properly, using the FB app and/or using safari browser.

Facebook itself loads up fine. It doesn't make any difference if she's connecting on wi-fi or cellular. If you click "like", "share" or "comment" on a post, most of the time nothing happens. The link just winks, briefly.

I removed and reinstalled the app and deleted cookies and cleared the safari browser cache.

I even did a complete iPad "factory reset" to no avail. Doing a google search into this didn't gain much insight.

Facebook works fine using our PC on the same home network.

Anything I might be missing?

Thanks.

buckingham
Doylstown Pa
Premium Member
join:2005-07-17
Buckingham, PA

buckingham

Premium Member

Has her iPad been updated to the most current release of iOS? I believe the current version of the FB app requires that, but didn't go look it up...so I may be in error there.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to jack b

Premium Member

to jack b
I've had similar problems with my 1st Generation iPad running iOS5.1.1. Safari began crashing a few months ago and that has only become more frequent since. At first it would crash when I opened a photo. Then a few days ago it wouldn't like. As of yesterday, I can no longer comment on a status. I touch the screen and nothing happens.

I tried downloading the Facebook app but it crashes on launch.

There are several threads on the Apple Support Forums about this issue. Facebook has added a number of new features which don't seem to be compatible with Safari or Chrome. As someone suggested, I downloaded Puffin yesterday and that seems to work, for now. The interface is a little weird and Puffin doesn't support SpellCheck but hasn't crashed. Also it seems to have limited Flash.

tommy3rd
I Am Nuckin Futs
Premium Member
join:2000-03-10
Clifton, NJ

tommy3rd to jack b

Premium Member

to jack b
the one solution i have for you is to actually click and hold the link until the open/open in new tab/etc window pops up and select open.

jack b
Gone Fishing
MVM
join:2000-09-08
Cape Cod

jack b

MVM

When I click/hold, an underline appears under the selection and a "copy" dialog box opens. No "open" choices are presented.

I'm going to give using an alternate browser a shot.
jack b

1 edit

jack b

MVM

Yes, latest ios update 6.0.1 is installed

I tried the Google Chrome browser app, no real improvement. Virtually any link clicked wants to open a new window, but not necessarily the "like" "comment" and "share" links on her news-feed posts.

I realize the safari browser is still utilized in the background as a wrapper for most if not all alternate browser apps, like AOL is a "dressed-up" Internet Explorer browser. Apple has it pretty well locked down in that respect, and I can appreciate the reasoning behind that.

Stacy
FotoDogue
Premium Member
join:2001-11-02
New York, NY

Stacy to jack b

Premium Member

to jack b
FWIW Facebook is better today. I was able to Like and open photos without Safari crashing.....yet.

Maybe Facebook fixed whatever was wrong.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by Stacy:

FWIW Facebook is better today. I was able to Like and open photos without Safari crashing.....yet.

Maybe Facebook fixed whatever was wrong.

Seems like it; they made some changes to their infrastructure/servers/routing or something last week and quite a few folks were having issues with Facebook, some via apps, some via the web...