share rss forum feed

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to godsmacked92

Re: [memory] Installed Memory (RAM)

The extra 1GB is in fact being used -- by system resources (not necessarily Windows) and by limited addressing space when using a 32-bit OS (like you are). It can be taken up by any/all of the following things:

* System BIOS and option ROMs -- usually 1MBytes, 2MBytes, or 4MBytes (depends on features)
* APIC -- 4KB
* Chipset -- usually 2MB
* I/O APIC -- 4KB
* PCI enumeration area (1 of 2) -- 256MB
* PCI Express -- often 256MB
* PCI enumeration area (2 of 2; not always needed) -- 512MB due to requirement to be 256MB-address-aligned
* VGA memory (common on laptops) -- ranges from 16MB to 256MB
* TSEG -- 1MB

All of these things combined can easily take up 1GByte of addressing space (thus RAM).

Will the 1GB make your laptop run faster? Possibly, but we have no idea how much memory usage you're usually at during common tasks. Task Manager or Resource Manager will show this (a screenshot would be helpful to determine if you're "running out of RAM").

Your laptop runs slow during VLC + Firefox almost certainly because of crummy graphics processing combined with the Intel Core i3 (first-gen) CPU you have. VLC is not exactly the speediest thing on the planet either (try MPC-HC sometime).
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

godsmacked92

join:2012-11-06

Ok. So what you're saying is that the 1GB is being used, I just don't notice it. I'll be putting up some screenshot from the task manager later.

Thanks for all the response.

AlphaOne
I see
Premium
join:2004-02-21
reply to koitsu

Yes, I think 32-bit Windows can use more than 2GB, but not made available for the applications to use.

Not sure how PAE (Physical Address Extension) works, and I'm not sure if it's ON by default.

IamGimli

join:2004-02-28
Canada
kudos:2

said by AlphaOne:

Yes, I think 32-bit Windows can use more than 2GB, but not made available for the applications to use.

Not sure how PAE (Physical Address Extension) works, and I'm not sure if it's ON by default.

This issue has nothing whatsoever to do with 32-bit or PAE. It's a marketing decision of Microsoft to limit Windows 7 STARTER to 2GB of RAM.

Any other version of Windows 7 will see and use all 3GB.