spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

adamjackson

join:2012-12-16
Lyme, NH

Moving to an area with terrible Internet. Satellite?

I live in 03741 area code now and have 100 megabits down cable Internet +TV + Phone with Comcast.

I'm moving to 03768 area code. Comcast has told me they can't support that area so the only two options

Fairpoint Communications (a low tier DSL provider)
Satellite Internet (Hughesnet was recommended)

My average use now is about 500 Gigabytes of data transfer each month..that wasn't a typo. I work from home and spend all day video conferencing with work and host almost all of my data online as far as photos, videos and documents and we stream a lot of television and movies.

====

Hughesnet has a 15/2 program but you're only allowed 80 gigabytes of data transfer a month. for $99

Fairpoint doesn't disclose data limits but has a 15/1 speed for $49 a month.

===

Honestly, both of these packages are absolutely horrendous compared to what I get now. I understand with 100 megabit Internet, no device really benefits beyond something like 20 megabits when it comes to loading web pages but the speeds are huge from when I had 50 megabits last year.

Is there simply no other option where I am? Am I stuck with DSL? This is depressing.

join:2012-12-11
North Coast
Video conferencing would be impossible with satellite due to the latency.

join:2012-12-11
North Coast
reply to adamjackson
If you sign up with a commercial account(which in reality it is) there are a lot less restrictions.

tschmidt
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
kudos:9
Reviews:
·Hollis Hosting
·G4 Communications
reply to adamjackson
Welcome to BBR.

Yup - Cable and DSL

Satellite is a distant third because latency is very high.

Be careful about DSL speed. Actual speed is a result of circuit length and condition. The best case speed for ADSL2 is 24M/1M but only if you live very close to the central office, a few thousand feet. I recently switched from FairPoint to G4 Communication. Speed doubled to 6Mbps. Slow by your standards but a vast improvement compared to 3Mbps.

If you are seriously looking at DSL might want to see if G4 communication is available in your town. They are a CLEC competitive local exchange carrier and colocate their equipment in FairPoint's central offices and rent customer loops to deliver phone and DSL.

»www.puc.nh.gov/telecom/cleccusto···acts.pdf
There may be other CLECs that service your town.

Another option may be a wireless ISP. That is a good choice in rural areas. May want to check out the I want broadband NH site to see what broadband options are available.

»www.iwantbroadbandnh.org/

/tom

gwalk
Premium
join:2005-07-27
West Mich.
reply to adamjackson
Stay away, far away from Hughesnet.

PCInTech
keeping art alive since 1953
Premium
join:2004-06-07
Massena, NY
kudos:9
reply to adamjackson
Here in Northern NY State, I have many customers who are in your situation. If "good" Internet access is important to you, my advice is generally, to MOVE somewhere else! Satellite is horrid, and rural DSL is oftimes worse.

guppy_fish
Premium
join:2003-12-09
Lakeland, FL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 recommendation

reply to adamjackson
If fast internet is requirement of your Job, only move where you can get it .. living in remote areas have many benefits, being connected isn't one of them.

You'll be throttled if you ever try an use 80gb on satellite unless its 12:00-8:00 am read the forums here and get a feel for what that is like. Don't assume you can get DSL, you have to actual try and order to see if your home is within the distance limitations

mocycler
Premium
join:2001-01-22
kudos:1

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to adamjackson
The solution is simple, albeit disappointing: You can only get what is offered.

I know the previous suggestion of "don't move there" is trite, but that's the reality of living in the sticks. It's kind of like a professional scuba diver moving to Arizona and complaining that there's no good employment opportunities. 03768 probably doesn't have decent pizza or a 24 hour liquor store either. Big city amenities vs. blue skies and wide open spaces. Can't have it both ways.

How about a compromise: Host your vids and photos elsewhere and cut back on the streaming. Get the DSL; it should be good enough for videoconferencing and basic web surfing assuming they can actually deliver the speeds they are claiming. If that won't fly then yeah, sorry, you're kinda screwed.

redxii
Premium,Mod
join:2001-02-26
Sherwood, MI
He's lucky, the best I can get is 3G, 20GB and $15/GB after that.

adamjackson

Lyme, NH
reply to mocycler
Great answers. Thanks all. I did check my comcast bandwidth usage. Looks like I'm doing 800-1200 Gigabytes a month of transfer currently.

I do share my connection currently with 4 neighbors so that isn't very surprising..assumption is that I"ll fall within the 200GB range for personal use. Things such as running Plex media server at home and watching content on my iPad while traveling streamed from my home server..things like that are benefits that I'll have to compromise on.

I actually live now in an area that's far more rural than where I'm moving. I live 20 minutes from Dartmouth college and I'll be 10 minutes away where I am moving. When I ordered Comcast, I was surprised 50 and 100 megabit were even available. I did check and the DSL is available at the location as the people that lived at the house we are moving into said that's what they use.

Time to use less Internet and rely more on the DVR, Cable and OnDemand offerings through Satellite TV.

adamjackson

Lyme, NH
Current Speed Where I am - »images.adam-jackson.net/image/1Z0x3Z1N1638

90 Day Data Usage - »images.adam-jackson.net/image/2V223V0V0J1F

Makes me worry that the Satellite is not the right choice for data usage and for the reasons everyone above has already said.

tp0d
yabbazooie
Premium
join:2001-02-13
Carnegie, PA
kudos:6
Get two dsl lines with a load balancing router.. 30/2 for 100 bux a month, not too bad..

-j
--
if it aint broke, tweak it!!
currently on FiOS (kick aZZ!)

adamjackson

Lyme, NH
Great idea. Any idea of what hardware is best?