Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

rustydusty

join:2009-09-29
Red Deer, AB
reply to rustydusty

Re: [motherboard] Asus M5A99X RAID Recover

It's being done in BIOS and the onboard RAID ROM. The machine is a hyper-v 2008 R2 machine, so software is out of the question, obviously.

Been screwing with this for days. Replaced all drives, works for a bit then shows critical. Pulled the "bad" drive and put it in a different machine and works great. I've not put Hyper-v on a single disk with no redundancy and the VHD's on the RAID-10 array. Shows functional until I start moved the VHD images over to the drive. I've also done that latest BIOS update. Starting to thinking this board is a lemon. Asus support has become useless at this point. Would I be better off contacting newegg on this issue and get a replacement?

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23

1 edit
said by rustydusty:

Replaced all drives, works for a bit then shows critical. Pulled the "bad" drive and put it in a different machine and works great.

I'd like to see SMART attributes for all of the disks in this RAID-10 array, preferably from smartmontools 6.0 (smartctl -x output). There may be something disk-level that's triggering the array to mark the drive as bad (such as an I/O request taking too long). I'm dealing with a user in this exact situation, though on an nVidia controller, in another thread.

smartmontools does not have support for AMD's driver shims (i.e. has no idea if ATA passthrough is offered or not) so you would need to put the disks on a different system attached to SATA ports that are non-RAID. Alternately I guess you could try switching from RAID mode to AHCI mode in your BIOS (so that they appear as individual/standard disks to the underlying driver subsystem, thus smartctl -x /dev/sda (for the first disk), smartctl -x /dev/sdb (for the 2nd disk), etc. would work). I would strongly suggest doing a full backup before trying this.

You can use smartctl --scan to get a list of all the /dev strings and arguments to pass smartctl. Also, if on Windows Vista or newer, make sure you try all of this running Command Prompt as Administrator.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.