Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

jacour
Premium
join:2001-12-11
Matthews, NC
reply to Sarick

Re: They're Losing money from inferior consumer grade products.

Or just buy a Linksys router (or any brand with the same chipsets) and flash the firmware with DD-WRT (my favorite) or Tomato and you will have all the firmware features you could ever want.

Angrychair

join:2000-09-20
Jacksonville, FL
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by jacour:

Or just buy a Linksys router (or any brand with the same chipsets) and flash the firmware with DD-WRT (my favorite) or Tomato and you will have all the firmware features you could ever want.

I for one definitely like the idea of having to go to a third party for my device support.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to jacour
said by jacour:

Linksys latest routers cannot have dd-wrt , or tomato installed on them.

Mango
What router are you using?
Premium
join:2008-12-25
www.toao.net
kudos:13

1 edit
reply to Angrychair

3rd party support is better

Totally agreed - the community support for Tomato firmware is exponentially better than anything I've ever received directly from any router manufacturer.

Sarick
It's Only Logical
Premium
join:2003-06-03
USA
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..
reply to jacour

Re: They're Losing money from inferior consumer grade products.

said by jacour:

Thats what I'm saying sort of. The problem is the Linksys stuff is inferior hardware wise even if you get open source installed on them.

They run hot. Hard wired antennas in the newer ones, and most new hardware isn't open source compatible.

Now look at the new ASUS stuff, they give the RT-N66U 250+ megabytes of ram, a 64kb NVRAM, 32 Megabytes flash ram, simultaneous Duel band, two usb 2.0 ports, 1gb switched ports and an internal miniSD slot!

This hardware allows open source so it really good for techies and do it yourself.

Most of the new Linksys stuff can't even be upgraded with open source. This is why their routers are inferior. They've stopped making them appealing to the market. The hardware just can't compete because they aren't designing a competitive product IMHO.
--
Sarick's Dungeon Clipart