Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Poser

join:2002-07-28

1 edit

Update on matching Rogers new speeds?

Hi,

I haven't heard anything about matching Rogers new cable speeds. Can someone update me on where we're at right now? I can't wait for 3mbps! Its gonna be sweet! =)

Thanks in advance!

Samgee

join:2010-08-02
canada
kudos:2

Re: Update on matching Rogers new speeds

Perhaps adding a ? to the end of your post title, or a Change to "anyone have an update on ..."

Post seems to indicate you have the answer.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1
reply to Poser

Waiting on the CRTC decision. Could be this week, could be sometime in January.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to Poser

The CRTC still has that case before it and we're not likely to hear back from them until sometime in January so you'll have to be patient a few more weeks bub. As much has been said in other threads regarding this, search around the forum(s).
--
IF TREE = FALL AND PEOPLE = ZERO THEN SOUND = 0
Nine.Zero.Burp.Nine.Six
Twitter = Twizted
Chat = irc.teksavvy.ca

Poser

reply to Samgee

My apologies for the misleading title. I have fixed it!

Thanks for the update. I'll keep my eyes open.

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to Poser

Re: Update on matching Rogers new speeds?

The CRTC isn't fast.. nor is any other GOV agency.

I'm dealing with immigration for my US Spouse who I married Feb of this past year, so they can move here.. They move at the pace of a snail!

Poser

Congratulations. And enjoy the freedom while you can! You think she's going to let you post on dslreports once she moves up North? Ha!

koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW

join:2005-01-08
East York, ON
reply to Poser

I don't live on here... I'm sure it will be ok..

creed3020
Premium
join:2006-04-26
Kitchener, ON
reply to Poser

I really hope we don't have to wait until new year for the decision. If the decision came come out in 2012 and IF consumers win then an implementation in 2013 is cool with me.

1Mbps up is getting really old...

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5

Sorry, but yeah likely to see the "Decision", in 2013 the CRTC is quite busy with other issues as well if you've been following the #CRTC thread(s) on Twitter.

redrain85

join:2002-06-27
Canada
reply to Poser

Not sure what this tweet infers, exactly. But it sounds like things are not going in our favor.

»twitter.com/jfmezei/status/28160···08978689

creed3020
Premium
Kitchener, ON

Wow that tweet does not sound like good news.

Are those docs available yet somewhere on the forums? As I haven't seen them.

redrain85

join:2002-06-27
Canada

I'm guessing resa1983 will fill us in. I haven't seen the documents being referred to anywhere, either. They're not currently on the CRTC site, as far as I can tell.

Also not sure if this has to do with a final decision, or Rogers just reiterating their position before the CRTC does make a final decision. But, as you said, it's not sounding good . . .

creed3020
Premium
Kitchener, ON

Yeah I tried to find it on the CRTC site but that page is a black hole and entirely unnavigable. I could even anything with the search. Their search engine must really suck. It couldn't find anything for TN29 or TN30.

bt

join:2009-02-26
canada
kudos:1

1 recommendation

TN28 - »www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/2012/r28_28.htm
TN29 - »www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/2012/r28_29.htm
TN30 - »www.crtc.gc.ca/8740/eng/2012/r28_30.htm

No new documents listed under any of them though.

creed3020
Premium
Kitchener, ON

Thanks BT.

Those URLs must suck for SEO....bunch of gibberish.

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
join:2007-01-29
Toronto, ON
kudos:19

1 edit
reply to creed3020

said by creed3020:

Wow that tweet does not sound like good news.

Are those docs available yet somewhere on the forums? As I haven't seen them.

I can't make any sense out of it at all.
Rogers filed reply cmts for Tn29-30 portions of TPIA speed matching. Confirms no changes to disaggregated POI.
Rogers can't confirm anything, it is up to the CRTC to decide.. Further, I thought the deadline for Rogers replies had passed a week ago or more.

Oh wait.. Is this because price and availability of speeds were split off into two issues? This is just Rogers reply to the part of the proceeding that is still open? In that case this is mostly meaningless, we already know Rogers position on the issue..

edit: Ya, this is just their response to the other half of the issue. It isn't news at all, we already knew that Rogers wants to deny non-aggregated access. Here are a couple of links to help untangle the details:
»Re: CNOC Files w/ CRTC Against Rogers
»Re: CNOC Files w/ CRTC Against Rogers

--
electronicsguru.ca

resa1983
Premium
join:2008-03-10
North York, ON
kudos:10

1 recommendation

OK... So here's the deal..

All 3 Tariff notices were filed at once.

TN28 has to do with *new tiers at higher prices* (aka Roger's bullshit as they're really upgrades to current tiers).
TN29 has to do with withdrawal & subsequent grandfathering of old speeds.
TN30 has to do with increasing the Extreme Plus from 75mbps to 150mbps.

TN28 is technically the Tariff Notice that the Part 1 Application was filed against. CNOC asked for expedited decision, hense the dates for TN28 being set earlier than normal for a normal Tariff Notice.

As the Part 1 really didn't apply to TN29 & TN30, normal response dates were applied - hense the responses this month by CNOC & Rogers.

Full history of TN28 & Part 1 can be read easily here:
»dl.dropbox.com/u/9038867/Rogers/CRTC.html

IF TN28 comes through as it morally should (not necessarily how it will), TN29 will be moot.

Decision should be sometime in January considering it didn't appear on this week's upcoming decisions notice, and I doubt they'll release something like this over xmas holidays.
--
Battle.net Tech Support MVP

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON

Whoa.. from Rogers TN30 cover letter:

Rogers currently has 3 TPIA customers who have 7 end-users in total on 75 Mbps aggregated POI TPIA service.
3 Aggregated customers? Start, presumably CIK, but who is the third?
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to resa1983

Another Whoa...

In the TN29 cover letter, Rogers proposes the complete withdrawal of 18 and 28 service on April 16th 2013.

Rogers notes that under the terms of Telecom Decisions CRTC 99-8, 2006-77 and 2010-632, and related rulings, Rogers’ obligation is to make TPIA services available to competitors at speeds that match the speeds we offer to our retail Internet service end-users. Rogers has no obligation to make available through TPIA any access speeds that we do not offer to our own retail end-users. This fact should be sufficient to justify approval of the current tariff notice.
Of course they also propose denying non-aggregated access to the replacement speeds. That means they propose reducing Teksavvy and Distributel (aka Acanac, CIA, 3web) to only offering 6mbit service as of April 16th!
(existing customers grandfathered of course)

I can't be the first to notice this?!!?
--
electronicsguru.ca

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

Essentially that'd be saying to TPIA "You can't sign up new customers unless they're on Aggregated".

Which wouldn't be allowed.
--

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to Teddy Boom

And more good stuff

Rogers currently has 4 TPIA customers who have 1,680 end-users in total on 18, 28 and 32 Mbps aggregated POI TPIA services.
Now there are 4 aggregated TPIAs?

Edit: On further consideration.. Rogers has 4 aggregated TPIAs, 3 of whom account for all 7 customers currently on 75mbit via a TPIA provider.
--
electronicsguru.ca

Teddy Boom
k kudos Received
Premium
Toronto, ON
reply to resa1983

said by resa1983:

Essentially that'd be saying to TPIA "You can't sign up new customers unless they're on Aggregated".

Well, sure.. But, I am reading that right, aren't I? I haven't noticed anybody pointing that out anywhere, and it sure seems relevant with respect to forcing non-aggregated access to new speeds.
--
electronicsguru.ca

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

1 recommendation

said by Teddy Boom:

said by resa1983:

Well, sure.. But, I am reading that right, aren't I? I haven't noticed anybody pointing that out anywhere, and it sure seems relevant with respect to forcing non-aggregated access to new speeds.

Yeah, you're reading that right I think..

But, I think everyone's banking on the Part 1 for TN28.. If these aren't 'new speed tiers' then the withdrawl of 'old' tiers is moot.

What I submitted to the CRTC on its own should be enough to show they're not 'new speed tiers', but rather upgrades to tiers. They don't have to provide upgrades to tiers after February 2012, but its possible that since Rogers provided the upgraded speeds to their own customers in November 2011, they SHOULD have also given them to TPIA at the same time, and they'll be given retroactively.
--

creed3020
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to Poser

Something I just noticed in CNOC's response on Nov 23rd:

Finally, CNOC shares the concern expressed by Ms. Murphy that upstream speed increases provided
to Rogers’ retail end-users free of charge are not also being extended to end-users of TPIA
customers as required by paragraph 210 of Decision 2006-77, and so CNOC urges the Commission
to act on this matter as well, but without holding up the determination of the CNOC Application as it
related to Rogers Tariff Notice 28
Emphasis added

If I read that correctly and this decision comes out in favour of CNOC we might see Rogers dish out the higher download speeds but the new upload speeds might not come with them as they will be determined separately. I know it sounds kind of silly but I never pass up the opportunity for Rogers to "shine their brilliance"...

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON

The increased upstream was introduced in Nov 2011 to their own customers, but without a download speed increase.

At this point, I don't think we care much about the download speeds, but more the upload speeds.

They're essentially saying "Rogers introduced this back during the matching period, didn't match. Give it to us now, while you're making up your minds about increased download speeds."
--

creed3020
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by resa1983:

The increased upstream was introduced in Nov 2011 to their own customers, but without a download speed increase.

At this point, I don't think we care much about the download speeds, but more the upload speeds.

They're essentially saying "Rogers introduced this back during the matching period, didn't match. Give it to us now, while you're making up your minds about increased download speeds."

Scary that we are still looking at getting these speeds one year + from when they actually started rolling them out...

Personally, I care 100% more about new upload speeds and don't care about increased download. 28Mbps is already super fast for me. I'd take 35Mbps if they dole it out for free.

I agree though that both of these items should be dealt with at the same time. Heck they shouldn't even be talked about separately as they come as a part of a profile. You can't have 35Mbps without some more upload otherwise the upload stream can't handle the stream of ACK packets based on my understanding.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by creed3020:

Scary that we are still looking at getting these speeds one year + from when they actually started rolling them out...

Look how long it took to get speedmatching for DSL... roughly a year ago I believe... Bell had ADSL2+ since 2007 I think...
--
F**K THE NHL. Go Blue Jays 2013!!!

resa1983
Premium
North York, ON
reply to creed3020

said by creed3020:

said by resa1983:

Personally, I care 100% more about new upload speeds and don't care about increased download. 28Mbps is already super fast for me. I'd take 35Mbps if they dole it out for free.

I agree though that both of these items should be dealt with at the same time. Heck they shouldn't even be talked about separately as they come as a part of a profile. You can't have 35Mbps without some more upload otherwise the upload stream can't handle the stream of ACK packets based on my understanding.

The bump in the download speeds, really doesn't make much of a difference.. Its nice, but meh. The real kicker though, is that they can't compete without the higher upload speeds.. Hense trying to push things forward faster by asking to order upload speeds immediately.
--

Poser

Any updates on this?