share rss forum feed

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to FF4m3

Re: Raspberry Pi Foundation Opens Online Software Shop

So what's the point of that 'computer'? I don't care if it's $5 or $25 it seems to be completely useless.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

Steve
I know your IP address
Consultant
join:2001-03-10
Foothill Ranch, CA
kudos:5

1 recommendation

said by Anonymous:

So what's the point of that 'computer'? I don't care if it's $5 or $25 it seems to be completely useless.

No imagination, eh?

HoboJ

join:2008-03-27
Cornwall, ON
kudos:1
reply to Anonymous
said by Anonymous:

Easiest answer is it's designed for hobbyists and students. It gives public schools access to a cheap, mature and very open platform upon which to teach students how to program and by extension how a computer actually works. For hobbyists it's a dirt cheap platform to play with and explore whatever the hell they may feel like exploring with a computer. Personally I'm the latter and thus far I've gotten more than my monies worth out of the pi.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
said by HoboJ:

said by Anonymous:

Easiest answer is it's designed for hobbyists and students. It gives public schools access to a cheap, mature and very open platform upon which to teach students how to program and by extension how a computer actually works. For hobbyists it's a dirt cheap platform to play with and explore whatever the hell they may feel like exploring with a computer. Personally I'm the latter and thus far I've gotten more than my monies worth out of the pi.

Exactly. They are great with bread boards and arduinos. There's all sorts of cool projects people have out there with these little computers, and anything more than the specs of the Pi are overkill for these many tasks.
--
"Padre, nobody said war was fun now bowl!" - Sherman T Potter

»maxolasersquad.com/

»maxolasersquad.blogspot.com

»www.facebook.com/maxolasersquad

Jason
Stowage Class Traveler
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-24
38.2967 Lat
kudos:3
reply to Anonymous
said by Anonymous:

I'm working with mine to be a front-end for my mesh-networked RGB house lights. (Phillips Hue)

I'm thinking I'll get a barebones 10" touchscreen from focalprice, or somewhere, and run the GUI and web interface on the pi. Put it all together in a thickish photo frame, and hang it on the wall.. Viola, whole-home lighting control center for less than $100.

Its only useless, if you don't find a use for it.. And, theres a lot of places where a full-blown Linux OS comes in handy, if you think about it.

For a time, my Pi was a upnp front-end, playing movies off my network onto my flat screen in the livingroom.. 720i, but, hey, what do you want for $35 It fit the bill nicely til the Boxee Box got here.
--
When cryptography is outlawed, bayl bhgynjf jvyy unir cevinpl.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
reply to Anonymous
It works as a MythTV / XBMC frontend.
It works as a PIAF server (asterisk).
Carputer
Robotics
Test projects
Some reportedly are making them into tablets.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.