« well
This is a sub-selection from Nice deployment chart
sandman_1
join:2011-04-23

1 recommendation

sandman_1 to kpfx

to kpfx

Re: Nice deployment chart

But that too is the "rub". How can anything new be invented for what the incumbant ISPs want to do, which is to stagnant? People have such short memories of what broadband did to the Internet when they first started offering years ago. Look at how rich in content the Internet is now as it has matured. I say bring the Gbps and let smart people figure out neat things to do with it.
silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

2 recommendations

silbaco

Premium Member

People said that back in the early 2000's when dial-up dominated as the main source of internet. It didn't stop anything from being invented. Developers and inventors will move forward just like they always have, regardless of incumbents.

kpfx
join:2005-10-28
San Antonio, TX

kpfx

I don't remember people saying that back in the early 2000's (that's when the dial-up ISPs started dying en-mass).

There were plenty of people dying to ditch their dial-up and switch to DSL, Cable, and even ISDN/T1s back then once the price-point hit the $50 range. The issue was more about cost... not if we needed something faster than dial-up. The need for the speed was already there (faster page loads, downloading music, the birth of streaming, etc).

The point I'm making is the cost benefit from going from 56K to 3,000K (at that time) was much greater than going from 20 Mbps to 1 Gbps. Again, show me why it's worth an extra $20/mo to get a gig and I'll be happy to sign up.
« well
This is a sub-selection from Nice deployment chart