silbaco
Premium Member
join:2009-08-03
USA

silbaco to NoHereNoMo

Premium Member

to NoHereNoMo

Re: Nice deployment chart

Can you host a server on Google Fiber? Nope. Then it is not unrestrained.

The most popular internet packages purchased remain the cheapest tiers. Not the fastest, even in markets that are fairly competitive and reasonably priced. At $70 per month, Google fiber is not going to change that when the national average is ~$47 per month and people complain that is too high.
NoHereNoMo
join:2012-12-06

NoHereNoMo

said by silbaco:

Can you host a server on Google Fiber?

Nope. Not that I have any need or desire to, but sure--it's not like I'm trying to run a business or anything. (However, that's not really what I mean by "unrestrained".)
said by silbaco:

The most popular internet packages purchased remain the cheapest tiers. Not the fastest, even in markets that are fairly competitive and reasonably priced. At $70 per month, Google fiber is not going to change that when the national average is ~$47 per month and people complain that is too high.

In principle I agree. For one person doing one thing at a time that requires the usual "high-speed" connection (aka streaming HD video), you can get by on a 5/5 tier--and there's your $47. Ummm, yeah, I'll still take Google Fiber for $70. To each his own, right?

aaronwt
Premium Member
join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt

Premium Member

said by NoHereNoMo:

said by silbaco:

Can you host a server on Google Fiber?

Nope. Not that I have any need or desire to, but sure--it's not like I'm trying to run a business or anything. (However, that's not really what I mean by "unrestrained".)
said by silbaco:

In principle I agree. For one person doing one thing at a time that requires the usual "high-speed" connection (aka streaming HD video), you can get by on a 5/5 tier--and there's your $47. Ummm, yeah, I'll still take Google Fiber for $70. To each his own, right?

I would love to go back to the prices I had in 1998 when I had a 5Mb/s down and 1Mb/s up tier. It was only $16 a month. But those speeds I had in 1998 are too slow for 2012/2013. So I'll keep my 150/65 tier for $70. Although I would love to pay even less but I don't see that happening.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

silbaco to NoHereNoMo

Premium Member

to NoHereNoMo
Unfortunately, you can't host a server on Google Fiber. It falls under misuse and is a violation of their ToS. I am not aware that it was originally forbidden, but it is now unless you receive a written agreement. Whether or not it will be enforced is another question.

I am not saying I wouldn't subscribe to Google Fiber either. But I think a lot of people won't because of price.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

That's just one of the standard silly clauses every ISP throws into the ToS. That's their way of telling you that you have residential service which is not supposed to be used for business purposes (profit or non-profit). However, there's nothing specifically non-residential about having a server. It's all about the kind of traffic you get. I've had no need to run a server for some years now, but if I did have a need, then I would--regardless of the ToS. I would, however, never try to run a business using residential service; it would only be for personal use.
silbaco
Premium Member
USA

1 recommendation

silbaco

Premium Member

My ISP doesn't have the clause. In fact I even called them and asked them about it. They said they don't care what you do, and that they leave all ports open specifically for that purpose.
NoHereNoMo

NoHereNoMo

I like them already.
Crusty
join:2008-11-11
Sanger, TX

Crusty to silbaco

to silbaco
said by silbaco:

Can you host a server on Google Fiber? Nope. Then it is not unrestrained.

Because $47 is too high... I read an article last year about Korea's avg speed/cost. They're on track to give FTTH (1Gbps) to every house next year and what's the cost? $27.....

But like the others, I'd gladly pay Google $70 for that speed. I'm paying nearly the same now for something 100th the speed with horrible caps and flaky speeds/connection that i hit every month (all legal).
« well
This is a sub-selection from Nice deployment chart