how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

FF4m3

@rr.com

OCZ Tests SSD Caching Solution for Linux Systems

From Xbit Labs:

OCZ Technology Group has initiated a beta test program for its Linux Acceleration (LXL) software development and invites its enterprise SSD customers to participate. The new OCZ LXL software is a fast caching storage solution for OCZ's portfolio of enterprise SSDs and designed specifically for Linux-based physical and virtual environments.

Details at site.

pablo
MVM
join:2003-06-23
kudos:1
Recently I purchased an OCZ Vector (512 GB) for my laptop. This drive absolutely screams. Boot time is blindingly fast as well as all operations. I'm now CPU bound.

Cheers,
-pablo
--
openSUSE 12.2/KDE 4.x
ISP: TekSavvy Bonded DSL; backhauled via a 6KM wireless link
Assorted goodies: »pablo.blog.blueoakdb.com

DeHackEd
Bill Ate Tux's Rocket

join:2000-12-07
reply to FF4m3
Such features are also available in a package called bcache (I don't think it's standard in the kernel yet) which acts as a cache to an existing block device, and it's also available in ZFS if you're into that kind of thing.

Bcache is potentially better as the cache contents survive a reboot, but if you like or use ZFS then it's a good choice as well.
--
That's odd...

rexbinary
Mod King
Premium
join:2005-01-26
Plano, TX
reply to FF4m3
I used a OCZ Vertex 4 in my recently built desktop, and I must say I am extremely happy with it. Boot time is incredible. I'm not using it for any caching purposes though.

darthanubis

join:2010-01-05
Cleveland, OH
reply to FF4m3
I have a 3 year old Vertex 2-60GB, and a .8yr old Vertex 3-256GB.

Windows 8 natively supports SSDs, with new defrag.

The V2 has seen so many OSes, and just keeps flying.

Love my SSDs.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to FF4m3
The technical details of how this is done is incredibly sparse. All that's given on a technical level is this marketing gobbledegook:

quote:
... It achieves this type of dynamic cache selection optimization by splitting the caching policy engine between the core mechanism running in the Linux kernel and an advanced statistical out-of-band analysis module that optimally determines which data needs to be placed in the cache and stores the data locally in OCZ enterprise-SSDs. ...
To me, that reads as: there are two Linux kernel modules you need to load to accomplish this task. And I have two comments on this:

1. Are these modules open-source or binary blobs? If binary blobs, then this will almost certainly fail,

2. Why is this being implemented like this? Either the underlying a) filesystem, or b) block/device I/O, layer should be responsible for this kind of thing. Honestly if I had to pick (a) or (b), it would be (a).

Sometimes I don't understand what OCZ is doing...
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.