spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

canblue

join:2012-12-18
canada

[Internet] Bell Fibe 15/10 low upload speed problem.

Hi folks. Looking to connect with all of the 15/10 customers who are not getting the published upload speed. If you are not getting over 1.2 mb of upload, lets get together and get some satisfaction.

I did all of the tests that Bell in Ontario provided. The results were that the Fibe was available and the 15/10 service was supported.

I was originally in the Fibe 6, no longer offered. Bell was going to upgrade me to Fibe 10 and let me keep the balance of the Fibe 6 plan, 25 gb of traffic. I decided, because of the small price differential to go to the 15/10 plan. All of the junk that was getting loaded from some websites was driving me over my package limit.

One the tech installed the modem, 2864, (it was just a modem swap) it took me some time to reset all of my network hardware to
reach the 15mb range. I ran many of their speed tests to confirm the speeds. Upload speed NEVER reached 1mb. Called Bell techs and was informed that I will never get more than 1mb of upload. They kept talking about distance from Bell but they have a station/office/building less than 1 klm away. The final conversation was:
1) My phone line would not support the upload speed
2) My profile was not and could not be set to the VASDL, it was the ASDL2 or ASDL.

Talked to Bell billing about this. They agreed that less than 1/10 of the plan speed did not warrant the fee - Bell could not deliver the service level and should not therefore bill the full rate but they/he could not do anything more than make a one time Customer credit as a good will gesture.

I was told that I could not go back to the Fibe 6 plan. I could downgrade to the Fibe 5, not the Fibe 10 plan, but I would not get
same gb capacity.

I understand that the advertising indicates "up to" speeds but 1/10 the plan speed I do not consider that it approaches anything close to "up to".

I am going to talk to the group the deals with Customers leaving Bell but I want to work on my list of options and price out other ISPs to see if I can find a better plan.

There must be many folks out there that are not receiving their full measure of service but are paying for the full pop. Do we present one front and ask for changes?

ruggs

join:2012-03-26
Ontario

2 words "up to"

But if distance is an issue than you should downgrade your speed to the applicable speeds to avoid over paying...
Also a issue is with the qualification process, isn't an accurate process with certain plant types (encap), its actually a shot in the dark with encap...

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to canblue

If you're advertising 10 megabits, and delivering 1 megabit, and never had any intention of providing more than 1 megabit, the "up to" logic doesn't work; that's just false advertising.

They used to advertise 16/1 and 16/10 separately (or rather, 16/7, which was a specific upgrade if you qualified). Then they changed it to 15/10, but they didn't do any technological change, they just advertised it differently, and they took away the ability for the customer to validate which one they'd get (which was possible before).

Selling a 10 megabit upload service to somebody and delivering only 10% of the advertised speed is just plain false advertising.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

ns1225

join:2010-12-30
Montreal, QC
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to canblue

The Sagemcom 2864 doesn't handle ADSL2+ upload speeds very well. So if you are on ADSL2+ ex: Fibe 15 with 1 Mbps upload, that may not be possible.
I had a brief experience of using Fibe 16/1 with the 2864 and the best upload speed I ever got was 0.45Mbps, fortunately I was quickly put back on VDSL.

The only solution may be to get the Bell 2Wire. The representatives on the Bell Direct Forums may be able to help you.

Brano
I hate Vogons
Premium,MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·Bell Fibe
reply to canblue

I'm with Bell on 25/10 and was getting only about 25/7 actual speeds. So I called Bell, they dispatched a tech guy and he changed the pair I'm on as the one I had was too noisy. Luckily there were some spare pairs to choose from (about 6 spare pairs, only one could handle the speed though :sigh: ) ...anyway, I ended up on the good pair and am getting full 25/10 speeds now.

Call them, make the dispatch a tech to do wire testing.

canblue

canada

I have had many conversations with Bell. The last person informed me that my line would not support anything higher than 1Mb without causing disconnect problems. I used to have 2 phone lines in the house, the extra line is still "attached" but not used as I disconnected the phone/account. Maybe they could tie them together???
I was informed that my only option was to downgrade to 5/1, less that I originally had, Fibe 6 that was going to upgraded to 10 as the 6 plan disappeared. It appears that Bell cannot move me to a plan that does not exist for down grade purposes but they could upgrade me from a defunct plan. Go figure.
Anyway, I still have a few tech pokers in the fire with confirmation numbers that Bell is suppose to be working on.
Funny thing today. I was checking my DL speed and it was around 6MB, were yesterday it was 16Mb. Had the help tech check my profile and they said my Mb limit was set a 7. How did this happen?
Can it change automatically downwards and then automatically be reset to the original high limit?

Time will sort his out, I hope and that the fee paid will reflect the service delivered.

Thanks for any and all input.

canblue

canada

Since the last post I have had many conversations with reps. from Bell. Last tech said that my upload speed problem/issue is with the CO hardware, not my line. I believe he was a level 2 or higher tech.
Got routed to the high speed test group as my profile speed got reset to 7Mb DL and they cannot reset the speed value. They are sending out a tech. They believe that there is a physical problem somewhere. I was getting the 15Mb download until I started to complain about the UP speed.

Funny thing turned up in the conversations. The monitoring s/w can detect a line problem and automatically downgrade to a stable
speed but you are not informed that this has happened. To get it reset, you need to contact Bell BUT how do you know that the speed had been reduced? You may just think that there is a lot of
activity on the Internet and let it go and NEVER get the DL speed reset.
I can see the auto downgrade but not that the Customer is not informed so that they can follow up and get it resolved/restored as Bell must manually reset the profile.

Another mystery of life.

Bryan

canblue

canada
reply to ruggs

Distance is not an issue. I am with 1 km of the CO

canblue

canada

The service tech has just left. It appears that a needed filter, a ADSL/VSDL POTS splitter was never installed and there was a short
in one of the house connections. They may have been more problems at the CO but nothing was mentioned. As a result of installing the POTS splitter and maybe changes at the CO my DL speed is back to 15Mb and my UL speed has increased to 2.9Mb. I can live with the UP speed at this time. It is much more than I had with the Fibe 6 or the original installation of 15/10. Maybe over time the UL speed will get better. 2.9 is much closer to 10.

I am going to sit back for a while and see what settles out.

Bryan

sibisties

join:2012-06-04
Canada
kudos:8

1.Actual speeds will vary depending on the distance between the customer’s modem and switching equipment from Bell: min. 10 Mbps and max. 15 Mbps down speeds; Min. 680 Kbps and max. 10 Mbps up speeds.

Copy-pasted from Fibe 15/10 pricing details... Always read fine prints.

canblue

canada

Point well taken. I did not read that. My error.
Having admitted I the above, I still feel that delivering 1/2 of a package and less than 10% of the other half, does not qualify for full price, regardless of disclaimers. IF, I had the opportunity to test the HS connection before purchase, I probably would not have ordered it. There were other options but this one, based on advertisement, was the better deal.

Rant off.

nlap

join:2012-12-19
Lachine, QC
reply to canblue

If you have a second router available, you can bridge it to your 2864 (use your PPPoE username/password in both routers). You will get much more configuration options from your second router and I have noticed a speed improvement.

See this thread for details on bridging solution. Good luck

»[Internet] Sagemcom 2864 port fowarding no longer working?!?!

canblue

canada

This is interesting. How do you bridge them and what speed improvement did you achieve?

RickStep
Premium
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON
kudos:1

Some of us posted here:

»[Internet] Bell Fibe 15/10 low upload speed problem..

and canblue got impatient and dual posted.

I thought the rules were that the dual post would be deleted. I think dslreports needs to get its act together relative to dual posts that have been going on since 2012-12-18 12:07:18 reposted here: 2012-12-18 12:33:41;
because he / she was impatient.

Can these dual posts be picked up and the poster stepped on.

The original poster OR the Moderator could have fixed this days ago.

If the repost isn’t picked up initallty then delete all posts and force the poster to repost.

There is a hole in the system.

I and others are wasting our time posting to SMOKE.

Notice that those that posted to the other thread have said basically "enough crap" and gone silent.

Rick.

canblue

canada

I am sorry for the dual post. I was not aware of until a day ago. I did not get feedback, that I saw to say that the post was successful. I was hoping that the 2 threads would be merged and the locked one deleted to eliminate any further confusion.

All that aside, Bell did a followup today and they were able to increase the UL speed. They informed me that the line and connection stability are now the limiting factors. The UL speed I now consider falls into the "up to" range. I am satisfied at this time
buy I will continue to a speed test now and then to check on things.

I was impressed with how Bell ultimately stepped up but it took many calls and persistence to get to talk to the correct people. As with the internet there is a lot of inaccurate information within the Bell service/help group and I hear that Bell is working to solve this.

All of the agents I actually spoke with were very professional in their approach to solving the problem. For my part, I did not rant or demand. I just stated the results I observed and requested that the speeds move closer to the package limits.

eproulx

join:2013-01-29
Kanata, ON
reply to canblue

I upload videos on YouTube and it takes forever.

I subscribed to Bell Fibe 15/10 and my upload speed was only 0.90 Mbps. Ridiculously slow. I'm very dissatisfied and I canceled my service. I live in Kanata (suburb of Ottawa) in a relatively new neighborhood. This isn't out in the country! There's no technical excuse for this.

They advertize this service and they can't deliver. Their online tool said this was available in my area. It was lying. This is a bait and switch scam.

I'd like to sue them.

coaxguy

join:2009-07-29
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
·Start Communicat..

said by eproulx:

I upload videos on YouTube and it takes forever.

I subscribed to Bell Fibe 15/10 and my upload speed was only 0.90 Mbps. Ridiculously slow. I'm very dissatisfied and I canceled my service. I live in Kanata (suburb of Ottawa) in a relatively new neighborhood. This isn't out in the country! There's no technical excuse for this.

They advertize this service and they can't deliver. Their online tool said this was available in my area. It was lying. This is a bait and switch scam.

I'd like to sue them.

New neighborhoods have a tenancy of having buried drops cut and repaired with click-it splice boxes many, many times. Mainly due to ongoing construction, driveways being completed, sewer work, drops not buried deep enough and getting a shovel through them, etc.

Might not be a technical reason, but a drop can only be scotch locked so many times before signal issues happen.

magellat

join:2013-01-29
Brossard, QC

Did subscribe to 15/10 last month and since,my upload was stuck at 7,no more;called tech. support and they mentionned it was locked at 8 !;they had no explanation for that
They changed the setup at 10 and now,I get a consistent 15/10

hlo207

join:2012-11-16
North York, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to canblue

I used to have a grandfathered High Speed that works out to 6 down and 0.6 up. However my father decided to get a TV Pad which kills the upload to 0.2 and ping in the hundreds. I cannot play on Xbox Live with that kind of crap! So I decided to upgrade, customer service said Fibe 25/10 (?) was available for my place.

The tech came and he was very suspicious about that claims looking at all the documents he had. I was watching him testing different profiles. The most he could squeeze out is a 16 down and 5 up profile which had the upload max out at 3.3 and line capacity at 100%. At the end of the hour he settled for the 16/2 plan (15.3 down 1.78 up in Speedtest.net) and he downgraded me to the Fibe 15/10 plan. I got the same conclusion from the Bell Direct forum with Bell_Dom.

Because of my internet usage of various devices at home, there is no way I can go back to the old High Speed. I was told by the tech that Bell will need to run the fiber to the pole before I can get any higher. If the online availability says I can do FTTH, then I can start dreaming. I like to see upload speed closer to 10 but I don't want to beg for anything that will lower my download speed. Now I can have the TV Pad and uTorrent on and still get 10/1 with low ping.