how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

mendinfences

join:2012-12-05

4G MiFi Plan -- Options Re: Usage

The saga continues!!

I have a borrowed VZ Jetpack 4510L and a prepaid card for minimum amount.

Very good signal strength. Here's my speedtest results: ping = 103; down = 5.19; up = 3.16

Assuming that is a 4G connection?

In now trying to determine about switching over Mill hotspot plan, I am wondering about the 20gig cap. (So greedy!) Ultimately, I would like to be able to download a few movies each month from Roku (say about 5) and maybe watch a few shows on Roku.

Right now, in my **heaviest** work month, we've maybe used about 7GB and that is with no downloading -- only surfing, updates, website changes, MANY emails, a few Facebook with video chats.

-----------------

** Is it reasonable to think we could do the above and stay within the 20GB limit?

** Is is possible to make a setting change that allows toggling between 3G and 4g? (I ask because a) we are currently used to 3G speeds for general work and b) it SEEMS that the 20GB at 3G speeds would "save" GBs???) Need general clarification about 3G vs 4G on download and bandwidth limits.

Thank you again ... one and all!!

~linda

Jim_in_VA

join:2004-07-11
Cobbs Creek, VA
kudos:4

The device can be set in 3G only mode via the web interface. Yes, you can blow through 20GB quickly at LTE speeds
--
... need help? »evdo-tips.com/

mendinfences

join:2012-12-05

Thanks, Jim. Exactly what I was worried about. Seems if I could set to 3G and put up with a little slower downloads (esp on anything like Netflix that insists on HD download when connected at 4G) ... wellll ... maybe I could manage the lower data cap. (This from the woman who has survived 5GB for the past few years ... )

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

It can be managed. 3G for browsing, email etc. Turn it on LTE for a quick Netflix download. Then go back to 3G. Not a problem. Be smart how you use it.
--

juneau

join:2012-12-19
Marshall, TX
reply to mendinfences

So you're saying browsing at 3G doesn't count toward the 20GB cap???

Jim_in_VA

Cobbs Creek, VA

Nope. It counts on your cap, just not faster
--

bodosom
Legerdemain
Premium
join:2004-03-05
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to mendinfences

said by mendinfences:

** Is it reasonable to think we could do the above and stay within the 20GB limit?

How big is a Roku movie? I know nothing about the service but e.g. iTunes has 480p, 720p and 1080p versions to help manage size/speed. Don't forget that downloading larger objects means proportionally more upstream traffic.

(I ask because a) we are currently used to 3G speeds for general work and b) it SEEMS that the 20GB at 3G speeds would "save" GBs???)

If you find youself spending a great deal of time waiting for pages to load compared to the amount of time you spend reading them (or something equivalent for you) then your link speed is the limiting factor and a faster link will result in more traffic. Otherwise not so much unless you change your habits.

By the way, I find it hard to believe in speeds tests. The Ookla app seems to quite reliably test my 3Mbs DSL link but claims 20Mbs downlink for my Jetpack. testmy.net gives a more reasonable 10Mbs downlink speed but my DSL adapter lets me read the counters directly so I know what's going on.