·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

4 edits

2 recommendations

tschmidt

MVM

Future Proofing home networks

Not sure if this really fits the Home Improvement forum but I though I'd give it a try.

In this forum, and in many others, have had numerous discussions about which category rated cable to use. Well for all of you "future proofers" out there will be happy to learn EIA/TIA has just started working on Category 8. BTW contrary to popular belief there is no EIA/TIA Category 7. There is an ISO/IEC Class F and Class FA. However there are no flavors of Ethernet that require it.

For those of you keeping score at home here are the relevant specs:

Cat 5e - 1G Ethernet - 100 meters (328 ft)
Cat 6a - 10G Ethernet - 100 meters (328 ft)
Cat 8 - 40G Ethernet (but probably not 100 meters)

For phone you can use anything that is vaguely twisted. My recommendation is to use the same rated cable used for your network. That way if down the road you no longer needs POTS (fairly likely) you can use the cable for networking.

PVC is cheaper and can be used anywhere except air handling spaces.

Plenum rated cable (Teflon) is required in air handling spaces - not typical in residential work. Also contrary to popular belief Teflon is fire resistant not fire proof. The goal of plenum rated cable to to delay the onset of combustion until air quality in the space is incompatible with life. Once it starts burning it is as nasty as any other plastic.

Use UV-rated cable for external use. Usually black and has UV resistant chemicals added to jacket to protect cable from sunlight degradation. Outdoor cable is usually flooded with water resistant goo (icky-pic) to prevent water ingress and discourage critters from chewing the cable.

»www.cablinginstall.com/w ··· ate.html

/tom
fixed typos
fixed more typos
Mr Matt
join:2008-01-29
Eustis, FL

Mr Matt

Re: Future Prooffing home networks

From previous experience I would install conduit ending above all low voltage outlet openings extending into the attic or location where cables can be pulled to in multistory homes. For low voltage outlets I would stub out conduit to be level with or just above the outlet opening extending through the top plate. Use a mud ring rather than a electrical box. That will allow you to install cables or fiber that requires a large bending radius. You might consider two 3/4 inch EMT conduits to each outlet opening. You can easily replace cables in a conduit. Once cables are stapled to the studs it is impossible to easily replace them whether CAT5, Fiber or COAX or some new technology.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to tschmidt

to tschmidt

Re: Future Proofing home networks

I was going to say the same thing regarding conduits.
The best way is to run cables in a way that is easy to pull out.
Heck, you can tie the new cable to the old cable on one side and pull the old cable from the other side, thus pulling in the new cable.

In the end, CAT6 should do fine for many many years. For residential use, WiFi should be able to take over any time (if not already satisfying for most types of use). I'd future proof as well by preparing locations for wifi transmitters. Multiple transmitters = better coverage and less traffic on one node. Of course, this is probably only good for single detached homes. Condos would have too many neighboring wifi networks.

As for combustability of teflon, I don't think it's much important to buy teflon if it's much more expensive or hard to find. I can see the point to it for server locations where you can have 100 network cables running into one location, but when you have the odd 1 cable running here and there, it's not what will make a difference in case of fire.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to tschmidt

MVM

to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

UV-rated cable for external use. Usually black and has UV resistant chemicals added to the jacket and is usually flooded with water resistant goo, to preserve transmission characteristics.

The goo isn't to preserve transmission characteristics. It's there in the event that if water does manage to penetrate the sheath through a nick, puncture, abrasion, etc that the water can't reach the shield and conductor. Think tire slime for the cable.
TheSMJ
join:2009-08-19
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

TheSMJ to tschmidt

to tschmidt
Personally, I wouldn't bother with anything more or less than CAT6 (not 6a) for residential use. 10 Gb Ethernet isn't ready for residential use yet, and even still CAT5e can handle 10 Gb for a 45 meter run*, which would cover most households.

I myself will be wiring my house with CAT6. It's only $20 more than CAT5e at Monoprice.com for a 1000-foot spool, so why not?

I'm not even going to bother with conduits. If I still own the house by the time the wiring needs to be replaced (10-15 years from now at the earliest), I'll just buckle down and cut holes in the wall and use the old stuff to pull the new stuff through the wall where I can.

*Source: »www.kit-communications.c ··· Cat6.htm

leibold
MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

As for combustability of teflon, I don't think it's much important to buy teflon if it's much more expensive or hard to find.

Plenum cable (CMP rated) is readily available everywhere cable is being sold and while indeed more expensive, it is not so much more expensive that cost becomes the reason for a homeowner not to buy it.

I remember seeing a video showing the difference in flame-spread and smoke development between CM (General Purpose), CMR (Riser) and CMP (Plenum) which was sufficient for me to spend a few extra dollars even if the code doesn't require it (I thought it was at the UL website but couldn't find it now).

With all the combustible material in a typical home a fire will spread regardless what type of cables you use. However plenum cable will at least not actively help in spreading the fire around (as plain PVC will do).

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

1 recommendation

cdru

MVM

said by leibold:

I remember seeing a video showing the difference in flame-spread and smoke development between CM (General Purpose), CMR (Riser) and CMP (Plenum) which was sufficient for me to spend a few extra dollars even if the code doesn't require it (I thought it was at the UL website but couldn't find it now).

Here are a few different types of cables and how they react under a flame. Below is also a video of two different alleged plenum cables. The one on the right I think would be an inferior cable if not an outright counterfeit.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· EZMq_BzI

With all the combustible material in a typical home a fire will spread regardless what type of cables you use. However plenum cable will at least not actively help in spreading the fire around (as plain PVC will do).

I think that is the main benefit of the plenum rated cables. It's not that it won't burn. Or that it's not toxic if it does. Both of those things can happen. It just helps prevent fire spreading to new parts of the building faster by using air plenums that often have moving air currents that would easily "fan the fire" so to speak. Anything that helps delay the spread of fire is beneficial, and if it releases less smoke, particularly the thick dark smoke that's typical when PVC burns, all the better.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to tschmidt

Premium Member

to tschmidt
Despite there being a networking forum here, I suspect since it deals with "wiring" similar to power wiring, that many people would come here first for this kind of info. It doesn't exactly fit, but it's still a good place for it IMO.

Interesting info regarding Cat 8 spec. I too have seen cables and other things sold as Cat 7 but had never seen anything official about it. I believe they skipped Cat 4 as well (straight from 3 to 5).

That said if I were really into future proofing I would do one of two things, possibly both. First, I would strongly consider putting in conduit. If you still own the home decades later (I grew up in the same house my dad grew up in, so it's possible), even if you put Cat 8 in today, you may want to upgrade that at some point. Conduit really helps to facilitate that.

The other option, in addition to or in place of the conduit is to just run fiber. You can get fiber NICs sure, but I would instead go with a media converter. Yes, it's one more component on each end and one more component that can fail. It also may take time for the media converters to come out but considering these advancements usually come to servers and backbone equipment first, which are usually fiber connected, you'll be ahead of the curve compared to copper users. Besides, who knows, in the future fiber may be the preferred cabling instead of copper.

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold

MVM

said by JoelC707:

I believe they skipped Cat 4 as well (straight from 3 to 5).

Cat 4 wasn't skipped but it had a very short lifespan. It was designed for 16Mbps Token Ring and 100Base-T4 (4 pair 100Mbps Ethernet). When the Cat 5 specification was finalized most manufacturers found that their data cables already met or exceeded Cat 5 requirements and simply changed the product labeling without having to retool their plants (which is time consuming and costly).

I remember an office (early 90s) being wired with Cat 3 for voice and Cat 4 for data (initially for a 10Base-T network). By the time we had moved in and needed some additional locations wired Cat 4 was no longer available. Before upgrading to 100Base-TX (2 pair 100Mbps Ethernet) some years later I measured the installed Cat 4 wiring for compliance with Cat 5 specifications and all tested locations passed with a comfortable margin.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707

Premium Member

Wow, I learned two new things in one post. There actually was a Cat 4 (makes sense on the explanation too), and that there was a 100Base-T4 specification. Never knew that existed. And for some reason, every time I think of Token Ring I think of 10Base-2 (the old coax network).

whizkid3
MVM
join:2002-02-21
Queens, NY

2 recommendations

whizkid3 to tschmidt

MVM

to tschmidt
Plenum vs. PVC jacketed cables. The primary difference is that the plenum jacket is designed to be very-low smoke generating in the event of a fire. It lowers the 'load' of flammable materials, and the amount of smoke produced. Its used primarily where smoke can be re-circulated throughout the building; i.e. in ceiling plenums.

Its not needed in homes. In almost all homes, the amount of materials that produce poisonous smoke in a fire - and large amounts - is overwhelming. If there is a fire in your house and you breath in the smoke - good chance you are dead. Sorry, to say, but there are almost no requirements for low-smoke producing materials in households, because in a fire its only a few dead people; compared to an office building, for example, where hundreds could die. In those buildings, very often all of the furnishings - walls, ceilings, flooring, paint, furniture, etc - are often 'Class A' in terms of low-flammability and low-smoke producing.

So, if you want to spend an extra $20 or so on a roll of plenum cable for your house - great. Its not going to do a damn thing to save you in a fire, however.
TheMG
Premium Member
join:2007-09-04
Canada
MikroTik RB450G
Cisco DPC3008
Cisco SPA112

2 edits

TheMG

Premium Member

said by whizkid3:

In almost all homes, the amount of materials that produce poisonous smoke in a fire - and large amounts - is overwhelming.

Doesn't surprise me one bit, especially with the over-abundance of cheap synthetic materials and plastics found in the majority of consumer products. It's scary how flammable some of these materials are.
said by JoelC707:

The other option, in addition to or in place of the conduit is to just run fiber. You can get fiber NICs sure, but I would instead go with a media converter. Yes, it's one more component on each end and one more component that can fail. It also may take time for the media converters to come out but considering these advancements usually come to servers and backbone equipment first, which are usually fiber connected, you'll be ahead of the curve compared to copper users. Besides, who knows, in the future fiber may be the preferred cabling instead of copper.

Even fiber isn't completely "future proof". Not all fiber is created equal. Who knows what type of fiber will be the standard in the future.

leibold
MVM
Sunnyvale, CA
Netgear CG3000DCR
ZyXEL P-663HN-51

1 recommendation

leibold

MVM

If you want to see just how quick a fire spreads through a room, the Christmas Tree Fire videos from the NIST are both informative and seasonal

With regards to the original topic, when using flexible plastic conduit (a.k.a. Smurf Tube, ENT) to future proof a home network there is no point in using plenum cable since the conduit itself is not fire rated at all.
JoelC707
Premium Member
Lanett, AL

JoelC707 to TheMG

Premium Member

to TheMG
True, no one really knows what the future holds so the whole concept of "future proofing" is kind of a futile effort. On the fiber front, you really only have multimode and singlemode fiber and I suspect mode converters/NICS use multimode. The connector is somewhat volatile with a lot more options now than just the ST/SC options when I first got exposed to fiber patch cables LOL. And the average user isn't going to have the skill or equipment to replace connectors either.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

1 recommendation

nunya to tschmidt

MVM

to tschmidt
For residential use, I think wired networks don't have much of a future at all. Maybe for hardcore enthusiasts. For most people wireless will be plenty.

The only way to "future-proof" a wired network is conduit.

Back in the late 90's and early 00's, we were installing banana peel with mm fiber. Nobody ever bothered to use it. Why? Unnecessary expense. Cat5 does what you need with no "special" conversion.
I'd even say cat6 is a waste of time any more. Wireless just keeps getting better and better. All of our client devices are trending to wireless as well (phones, iPad's, laptop, kindle, etc...

shdesigns