how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tonice2007
Premium
join:2005-12-20
Brooklyn, NY

Question about Remote Support Software...

So, as a IT freelancer, I'm looking for remote support software, such as LogMeIn, RealVNC, etc. that I could use to support my clients, without have to be physically there to support them, which sometimes can be quite "costly" (transportation costs, and scheduling flexibility).

I was wondering, if anybody have any experience in this area, and could recommend a "platform" which I can use to fulfill my "requirements" of offering support remotely. Preferably something that supports the mobile platform (specifically Android) and is cost efficient, since mostly I charge by the hour, and it's kind of hard to "figure out" the charging price for each support issue.

aguen
Premium
join:2003-07-16
Grants Pass, OR
kudos:2

1 recommendation

Teamviewer supports RDP via software installed at both ends for use on unattended devices or where the local user(s) are maybe a little clueless. They also have a runtime only client (no install needed at the remote end) for users that are ab bit more savvy. They also have Apps. for Android/iPhone.

»www.teamviewer.com/en/download/mobile.aspx

anti_windoze

join:2001-07-08
Fontana, CA
reply to Tonice2007

i use teamviewer, has file transfer and switch sides also.

urbanriot
Premium
join:2004-10-18
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Cogeco Cable

1 edit
reply to Tonice2007

We've used both Bomgar and Teamviewer.

Bomgar was too cumbersome on the support side and annoying to try and walk regular users through providing us access so we dropped them for Teamviewer which has been sooo much easier. Edit: Although Bomgar has jump lists but we're not in the mood to spend time configuring.

Basically put a link on a web page to Teamviewer, tell your clients to go to your page, click 'download' and they give you a number and you're connected.

The price was appealing too, we grabbed Teamviewer for this year when it was in the $600 range for a single year.

RealVNC would require open ports and opening up a VNC port directly to the internet is a sign of a lousy admin and I've seen the LogMeIn service blue screen a server so those are off the list.

Expand your moderator at work

jp10558
Premium
join:2005-06-24
Willseyville, NY
reply to Tonice2007

Re: Question about Remote Support Software...

I'm personally a big fan of LogMeIn, but that does need to be installed beforehand. That said, you can pretty easily use join.me (also from logmein) to do an initial remote control and then install the software, though this probably would need to be from a PC. Once installed, you can buy LogMeIn ignition for android or whatever to remote control the computers - but you pay through the nose for LogMeIn Rescue to do mobile device remote control...
--
Opera 11.1; Windows XP Pro SP3;Intel C2Q6600; 3GB DDR2 1066; 1M/128k DSL; Comodo Internet Security 5.3;Proxomitron 4.5j Sidki 2009-06-06,GPG ID:0x0A1C6EE3

jastin1981

join:2013-02-08
Des Plaines, IL
reply to urbanriot

If you are interested in good remote desktop access software, then try Access Suite from Thinomenon for free. It's not so hard to use as you told above.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA
kudos:24
reply to Tonice2007

++ teamviewer

HolmanGT
HolmanGT
Premium
join:2001-11-20
Washington, UT
reply to Tonice2007

!!! TEAMVIEWER !!!

Even my ex-wife can down load it and pass me the access codes without any assistance. She is 68 and thinks a computer is strictly for playing Solitaire [no this is not a troll for women to lamblast me]

PS - It even has built in "Video Chat". A tad expensive but well worth it as long as your business is making a profit.
Also you can try it for free -no hooks or hidden charges.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to Tonice2007

I've tried several over the years and the one that works the best with naive clients and lower bandwidth connections is Teamviewer.

mmainprize

join:2001-12-06
Houghton Lake, MI
Reviews:
·Charter

1 edit
reply to Tonice2007

here are so others that are free and some don't require much config or installing

Single Click
»www.uvnc.com/products/uvnc-sc.html

Thin VNC
»sourceforge.net/projects/thinvnc/

Tight VNC
»www.tightvnc.com/download.php

Like Logmein
»www.thinvnc.net/