Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

doyling

join:2004-09-22
Schaumburg, IL
reply to mogamer

Re: Cisco 8642 hddvr

I am not familiar with this DVR, I had the Scientific Atlanta DVR some time back. For my money, TiVo is the only way to go. Better features and ergonomics. It's a real blast to hack too.

hudiat

join:2011-10-13
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·WOW Internet and..
If you really want the 8642 you can go to a local office to sign up and ask for it specifically. Last time wow replaced my DVR a while back the 8642 was all he had, so it may be common.

However, I also 2nd a TiVo. If you get a used TiVo HD on eBay activate it, sign up, then call and say its more expensive than you thought, they will drop it to $9.99/mo, plus wows cable card at I think $3.50 now it is just $0.50 more a month and worlds better. Plus you can put up to a 2TB drive in it.

The new TiVos though also have Netflix,Hulu, and all that junk but are more expensive.

Even the old TiVo experience on the TiVo HD is worlds better than the 8642.

mogamer

join:2011-04-20
Royal Oak, MI
reply to doyling
said by doyling:

I am not familiar with this DVR, I had the Scientific Atlanta DVR some time back. For my money, TiVo is the only way to go. Better features and ergonomics. It's a real blast to hack too.

I agree with the Tivo, but we're trying to econimize and my wife doesn't want me to spring for the upfront costs of a lifetime sub. While the monthly payments on top of a cable card monthly lease isn't that smart financially. If I only get the hddvr with no other stb, I'm only paying $6 extra a month compared to just hd which will work for us in the short-term. After a year, I could convince her to go the Tivo route or upgrade my HTPC with a cable card tuner.