Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to koitsu

Re: Ars Forecast: SSD prices will continue to slide

said by koitsu:

There is lots of competition in the SSD market. I can't even name all the brands at this point -- Crucial, Corsair, OCZ, Kingston, Intel, Samsung, Western Digital, Mushkin, Patriot, and SanDisk -- though I imagine some of those are rebranded (for example some Kingston models are rebranded Intels), and I'm probably missing a few vendors too.

Agreed! And we, the consumers, benefit from that competition!

OT: Have you checked out the new OCZ Vector drives? Supposedly the first built on the new, in-house Indilinx controllers. They're very pricey (right above $1/GB)--do you see any compelling advantage to go for one of those over the more traditional SandForce-driven SSDs that are selling around $.80/GB?
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
said by Krisnatharok:

OT: Have you checked out the new OCZ Vector drives? Supposedly the first built on the new, in-house Indilinx controllers. They're very pricey (right above $1/GB)--do you see any compelling advantage to go for one of those over the more traditional SandForce-driven SSDs that are selling around $.80/GB?

I've looked at reviews of them (specifically Vertex 4), and "they look fast", but I was a little wary of them given me raising my eyebrow over the performance of the 1.5 firmware: »Re: Which SSD drive to get?
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
I believe the Vector series are different than the Vertex 4 series: »Tom's Review: New OCZ Vector SSDs/ OCZ Barefoot controller
--
Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
Oops! Vertex, Vector, sigh... shame on them for naming them so similarly! (Okay, that's a miserable attempt at saving face... *sheepish grin*) I'll read the review and details later and follow up. Thank you.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.