share rss forum feed

pike
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-01
Washington, DC
kudos:3
reply to IowaCowboy

Re: Dimming linear fluorescent lights

Do you leave them on a lot? Fluorescent lamps definitely lose brightness with usage, but not necessarily age. Be sure to clean the diffusers/lenses (if equipped) and the reflectors first to see if that helps.

IowaCowboy
Iowa native
Premium
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon Broadban..
·Comcast
They do get turned on when we go down in the basement (such as to do laundry, retrieve possessions, etc). We are pretty good about turning the lights off when we're not down there and I've developed a habit of turning the lights off that sometimes I forget my mother is down there and I accidentally leave her in the dark but I do it due to the high electric rates in this part of the country. Sometimes they get left on. The tubes are starting to darken on the end. The fixtures are relatively new so the ballasts can be ruled out but I'll upgrade them to T8 when T12 lamps are no longer available. They don't have starters so they have electronic ballasts.

shdesigns