Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to jcondon

Re: Junk calls

said by jcondon:

Or did Verizon sell our number to their business partners?

They ALL do it.

Cablevision just did it to me.

ALSO:

Porting your number such as from Cablevision to Verizon [may] be enough to wipe your # from the Do Not Call list. That's because the FTC (it's the FTC not the FCC that does the DNC list) tells phone companies to cull the lists for terminated numbers. As far as CV is concerned, you terminated.

About 15 days after a port, check to see that your # is still on the list. Put it on again if need be (and in that case, telemarketers can call you for the first 30 days with the government's blessing!)

Zifnab

join:2008-03-30
Pittsburgh, PA
said by PX Eliezer70:

Porting your number such as from Cablevision to Verizon [may] be enough to wipe your # from the Do Not Call list. That's because the FTC (it's the FTC not the FCC that does the DNC list) tells phone companies to cull the lists for terminated numbers. As far as CV is concerned, you terminated.

This is it exactly. When you port your number, you disconnect your number from one provider and reconnect it at another. There's no continuity between those two states. This is enough to trigger the removal of the number from the DNC list and you have to re-add it.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY
kudos:11
No one is selling anything. You need to re-register with DNC.

Hob

tnsprin

join:2003-07-23
Bradenton, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
There's alway a surge in such calls at this time of year. And unfortunately new phone installs are public record, that don't need to buy them. Something we should ask the GOV to change. DNC, which is also public or how ask could some group no not to call, is of course ignored by these callers.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

No one is selling anything.

I disagree, they ARE selling your info, at least in the case of Cablevision/Optimum.

I recently moved my business a couple of miles, and had to move my Optimum phone and internet service.

Soon after I started getting junk mail, and because of the exact way the address is listed on the mail, the info definitely came from Cablevision/Optimum.

Also, the phone # we have with them is a fax number that we NEVER make public, and Optimum says that they do not do directory listings....

....But soon after the move, I started getting pseudo-bills from some of those phony Yellow Pages companies (not the real telco YP or YellowBook) wanting me to pay money to list that number with them.

So Cablevision/Optimum [does] sell your info at least in the case of business accounts, and I am sure that Verizon does the same.

And in fact, I believe that CV also gave the info to Verizon, because I'm getting bombarded from them too, and that started before any announcement was made of our new location.

PX Eliezer70
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to tnsprin
said by tnsprin:

And unfortunately new phone installs are public record....

Any proof of that? I surely never heard that.

MiNdErAsR
Dark Lord of Sriracha

join:2000-11-25
reply to hobgoblin
said by hobgoblin:

You need to re-register with DNC.

Wrong. Once a number is registered, you do not need to re-register.

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
If there is a procedure where registered phone numbers are culled from the active list, it would be useful for someone to verify their number is still listed.

»donotcall.gov has a verify step that will send you an email with the results. It will show whether the number is listed, and the date that it was listed.

Someone who was previously registered and had a number ported over could verify if the listing still holds. I know that my old VZ POTS number is still registered when it came over to FDV.

danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA
reply to MiNdErAsR
said by MiNdErAsR:

said by hobgoblin:

You need to re-register with DNC.

Wrong. Once a number is registered, you do not need to re-register.

Will My Registration Expire?

How long does my phone number stay registered?

Telephone numbers on the registry will only be removed when they are disconnected and reassigned, or when the consumer chooses to remove a number from the registry

Source: Do Not Call Registry: »www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/01···registry

It used to be the case you had re-register every few years (5) but that has since changed.