uniqs
share rss forum feed

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to gweidenh

Re: [voip.ms] Is it rotten with bugs or is it incompetent users?

said by gweidenh:

Industry standard servers have an average incident rate of about 8%. How you should read that is that given a large enough sample size, you can expect 8% of your servers to have an 'incident' in any given 12 month period.

And that's why they invented high availability and (automatic!) fail over.

MartinM
VoIP.ms
Premium,VIP
join:2008-07-21
kudos:3

said by nitzan:

said by gweidenh:

Industry standard servers have an average incident rate of about 8%. How you should read that is that given a large enough sample size, you can expect 8% of your servers to have an 'incident' in any given 12 month period.

And that's why they invented high availability and (automatic!) fail over.

Not to bash on you Nitzan but I don't think you're handling the same amount of traffic than we have to handle. Anyway, let's not get side tracked..

Our failover will be automatic soon. The problems we've experienced with Toronto in the last few days is a capacity issue with the bandwidth routing at Data center level (out of our control). We're moving away from them. The various times Toronto went down was in an erratic manner (back/gone/back/gone) because the provider was experiencing a DDoS attack on one of their customers (it happened many times, hence why we're moving away). Automatic / "High Availability" would not have done much here. It required human intervention each time. But we won't switch the blame. We are responsible for being hosted there in the first place.

Last time Seattle went down for a whole week-end we didn't even get a single thread in that forum because we handled the situation well by redirecting the traffic to another POP in a timely and transparent manner.

However, it's always pleasant when another provider sneaks in one of the thread for a cheap poke.

There are now about 10 redundant threads about Toronto. I guess we can all choose our flavour and post in any of them.
--
Martin - VoIP.ms

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:7

said by MartinM:

Not to bash on you Nitzan but I don't think you're handling the same amount of traffic than we have to handle.

However, it's always pleasant when another provider sneaks in one of the thread for a cheap poke.

Pot, meet Kettle.

I wasn't trying to "cheap poke" by the way - I was just commenting on a technical aspect. I don't even know what kind of failover mechanisms you have (or don't have) in place.