how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cOOLguy

join:2009-09-10
Torrington, CT

Verizon 3G Capping = 3G Mobile Hotspot Crash

This information comes directly from a chat with Verizon Tech Support.

I have a droid x and unlimited grandfathered data. I bought a 20 a month tethering plan so I could use my wifi tablet over the 3g connection.

This plan gets you 2GB/month tethered data. But any data transmissions to/from the host while the tethering is active count against this limit. (Fine with me)

I had to call Tech support because the 3G hotspot app was total crap. Specifically, it would not respond to on and off commands after a few minutes, or unload from memory when turned off, or work for more than 2 minutes.

Verizon told me that this is because I was capped -- "optimized" in these days of marketing bs. This means they were slowing my connection down purposefully because "unlimited data" really means 2GB a month and then you get capped.

So even though I offered to pay them 20 a month more for tethering, the tethering app crashes because I am capped.

I would like to file a complaint over the web with Connecticut...anyone have a link? Specifically, unlimited data should not mean that the phone becomes unusable for tethering after a certain unpublished limit is reached.

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA

Check your phone, you dont get throttled. You get overages.

cOOLguy

Torrington, CT

No I dont get overages because I have unlimited data on the phone. Its kind of hard to overage "unlimited" but Verizon has found a way by making the phone unusable for tethering

dmc271

join:2008-09-02
Stillwater, OK
reply to cOOLguy

My experience is that the Mobile Hotspot app is simply buggy on certain phones. You might want to try rooting your phone and then using a different tethering application. This is what I had to do with my Thunderbolt. I still paid the tethering fee, but I simply used a different app (OpenGarden) to do the tethering.

cOOLguy

Torrington, CT

I will try that. Perhaps the latencies that Verizon adds will not provoke any bugs in a different app. Thanks!

tdumaine
Premium
join:2004-03-14
Seattle, WA
reply to cOOLguy

said by cOOLguy:

No I dont get overages because I have unlimited data on the phone. Its kind of hard to overage "unlimited" but Verizon has found a way by making the phone unusable for tethering

Check again. Trust me