All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

Grimm
join:2011-05-23

Grimm to TheBionic

to TheBionic

Re: The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey

I saw the movie over on Saturday and I have to say, I was entertained and it seemed the entire theater was too. 11:45AM showing and there was not an empty seat in the theater; it was crazy! I thought it was a fun movie and am excited to see the follow-ups.

I feel bad for people who go in with expectations and criticize every little thing in movies and come out unhappy/disappointed. A movie should be an escape from reality, whether it's realistic or not.

I brushed it off, in the full scope of things, but the only thing I was questioning was where/how the eagles came into the picture. If they are able to fly atop these birds, why not fly all the way to their destination? Instead of it taking days/weeks to get there, it could take hours by flight (or so it seemed by the vistas shown while airborne.)

I also have only read the Hobbit book and that was over 10 years ago so I don't really know much about the background of the eagles' involvement.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by Grimm:

I saw the movie over on Saturday and I have to say, I was entertained and it seemed the entire theater was too. 11:45AM showing and there was not an empty seat in the theater; it was crazy! I thought it was a fun movie and am excited to see the follow-ups.

I feel bad for people who go in with expectations and criticize every little thing in movies and come out unhappy/disappointed. A movie should be an escape from reality, whether it's realistic or not.

I brushed it off, in the full scope of things, but the only thing I was questioning was where/how the eagles came into the picture. If they are able to fly atop these birds, why not fly all the way to their destination? Instead of it taking days/weeks to get there, it could take hours by flight (or so it seemed by the vistas shown while airborne.)

I also have only read the Hobbit book and that was over 10 years ago so I don't really know much about the background of the eagles' involvement.

Not to come off like too much of a dork, but the eagles are a proud, sentient race that mostly keep to themselves and wouldn't agree to carry them. It's demeaning. But you're right. There are now three instances where the eagles save the heroes' collective bacon (in The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy), and they will make at least one more appearance. I think Peter Jackson needs to take a scene and explain why the eagles don't just fly everyone everywhere. A conversation between Gandalf and Bilbo would do it.

Grimm

Grimm

Ok, thanks you two. lol.
said by TheBionic:

I think Peter Jackson needs to take a scene and explain why the eagles don't just fly everyone everywhere. A conversation between Gandalf and Bilbo would do it.

This is pretty much it. With no explanation, someone who doesn't know the backstory(such as I) just has no clue lol. But I digress; I still knew as soon as I saw the butterfly that the eagles were coming to save them and was giddy to see them show up

ZZZZZZZ
Premium Member
join:2001-05-27
PARADISE

ZZZZZZZ

Premium Member

quote:
as soon as I saw the butterfly that the eagles were coming to save them and was giddy to see them show up
Not having read the books I thought the butterfly was associated with Galadriel and she had sent the eagles.........thx for the info.

Grimm

Grimm

said by ZZZZZZZ:

quote:
as soon as I saw the butterfly that the eagles were coming to save them and was giddy to see them show up
Not having read the books I thought the butterfly was associated with Galadriel and she had sent the eagles.........thx for the info.

I just assumed the butterfly and eagles were connected because Gandalf did the same thing in one of the Lord of the Rings movies/books while battling Saruman (The Two Towers?)