Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

peterboro
Premium
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON
reply to WhaleOilBee

Re: [Rant] Why the *** are you commuting in a backhoe?

All perfectly legal with that triangle sign attached. I used to tear up the back roads in the county on tractors and hill groomers from our ski resort in the winter back in the day. Mind you only snowmobiles could keep up with me in snowstorms so holding up traffic wasn't a problem.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4
said by peterboro:

All perfectly legal with that triangle sign attached. I used to tear up the back roads in the county on tractors and hill groomers from our ski resort in the winter back in the day. Mind you only snowmobiles could keep up with me in snowstorms so holding up traffic wasn't a problem.

Section 132 doesn't make any specific exemptions for that triangle, just road service vehicles. I'm sure you can clarify.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
You didn't answer the question regarding Section 132.

I would imagine that if they were as exempt as you said they are, Section 132 would make reference to a vehicle displaying a slow moving vehicle sign in accordance with 76 just as 132 already does for road service vehicles.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

Section 132 doesn't make any specific exemptions for that triangle, just road service vehicles. I'm sure you can clarify.

You unilaterally introduced section 132 where as section 76 and Regulation 616 are the appropriate authority.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by peterboro:

You unilaterally introduced section 132 where as section 76 and Regulation 616 are the appropriate authority.

Section 76 only applies to who must display the symbol and the O.Reg defines what the symbol must look like and how visible it must be. Section 132 has to do with driving unnecessarily slow to the point of obstructing traffic. It provides no exception for vehicles displaying a slow speed triangle in accordance with Section 76. Therefore, my unilateral introduction after PX Eliezer's comment and my request for clarification was more than appropriate in the context of this discussion.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
So there is an contradiction between the Regs. and Statutes?

agtle

@teksavvy.com
reply to Gone
I've always wondered if Section 7 applies. I never see number plates on these vehicles.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to peterboro
said by peterboro:

So there is an contradiction between the Regs. and Statutes?

The regulation only deals with the sign's appearance, visibility and its placement on a vehicle.

You said it was perfectly legal for a slow moving vehicle displaying the slow moving triangle to hold up traffic on a public highway, whereas Section 132 would indicate otherwise regardless of a slow moving sign being affixed to a vehicle in accordance with Section 76 - unless it's a road service vehicle, of course.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
reply to agtle
said by agtle :

I've always wondered if Section 7 applies. I never see number plates on these vehicles.

Section 7 would apply, but the regulations associated with Sec 7 differ depending on the type of vehicle.

peterboro
Premium
Peterborough, ON
reply to Gone
said by Gone:

You said it was perfectly legal for a slow moving vehicle displaying the slow moving triangle to hold up traffic on a public highway, whereas Section 132 would indicate otherwise regardless of a slow moving sign being affixed to a vehicle in accordance with Section 76 - unless it's a road service vehicle, of course.

The definition of “motor vehicle” does not include a backhoe which is by definition a roadbuilding machine and as such section 132 of the HTA is not engaged.

Now as to the strict interpretation of my post, no you cannot affix a triangle thing to anything that does meet the definition of a “motor vehicle” and breach section 132 of the HTA with impunity.

Gone
Premium
Fort Erie, ON
said by peterboro:

Now as to the strict interpretation of my post, no you cannot affix a triangle thing to anything that does meet the definition of a “motor vehicle” and breach section 132 of the HTA with impunity.

Gotcha. As I said, just wanted some clarification.