uniqs
share rss forum feed

scavio
Premium
join:2001-07-14
Melmac
reply to Skippy25

Re: Playing Fair

They don't care how and what you use the connection for as long as it's on the phone. They are selling you a specific service to use on a specific phone with specific software. They don't allow tethering and part of the agreement when you sign up is when you are around wifi, you should use it for data/voice. If you agree to this, you have unlimited service. If that doesn't work for you, then find another service.

I would agree with you more if this was some sort of pay the byte service. If I was on Verizon and paid for 2GB of data, I would expect to be able to use the data however I want.

Skippy25

join:2000-09-13
Hazelwood, MO

1 recommendation

Again, they are providing you a service of data, how you use that data is not their concern. Their ONLY concern should if you abuse the network so no matter how you use the allotted data if it is having a negative effect then they should address it. If it is not, then they should leave you the hell alone.

What about netflix, do you think it would be OK for them to add in their TOS you can't use netflix or any other video service that may use up lots of data? How about Skype or another IM, a service that uses little data but may compete with another product of theirs?

You people that think a TOS is a tablet written in stone are on crack.

They can put whatever they want in there, that does not make it enforceable. Which I believe they know which is why they wont be actively seeking out people to terminate that they think are tethering. If they did, I think they know they will see their day in court eventually and it wont be a good outcome for them or their industry.

You agreeing with me if you were on Verizon is just silly. 2GB of data is 2GB of data regardless of how you use it and how much of a pool it comes from. Which just goes to show that the marketing ploy to get a bigger average return per customer is working. They have people like you snowed into thinking that they cap to protect their network. When the reality is they cap so they can charge you more to use more and it has nothing to do with protecting their network because if you are willing to pay they will let you use as much as you want.

Maxo
Your tax dollars at work.
Premium,VIP
join:2002-11-04
Tallahassee, FL
said by Skippy25:

Their ONLY concern should if you abuse the network so no matter how you use the allotted data if it is having a negative effect then they should address it. If it is not, then they should leave you the hell alone.

Exactly.

patronanejo

join:2009-09-10
EC2R 8AH
reply to Skippy25
said by Skippy25:

You agreeing with me if you were on Verizon is just silly. 2GB of data is 2GB of data regardless of how you use it ....

The operative part of scavio's example wasn't Verizon--it was the pay-per-byte data plan, genius.