Search similar:

uniqs
shenginc9
join:2003-01-15
Los Angeles, CA

1 edit

shenginc9

[DSL] Excess unwanted traffic on my DSL inbound

I'm, trying to figure out why for the past month or so, I've began noticing that my dsl modem is showing activity even when all my wireless devices and computers are turned off. I even powered off the router and the amber light is blinking at regular intervals.

I turned on logging for dropped packets on my router and I'm seeing all these IP addresses trying to get in. IP addresses are from all over the world.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

shenginc9, I removed your acct # and will send it on to Nick.

Not a good idea to post private info in a public forum.

dslx_nick
ISP Employee
join:2011-12-24
Chatsworth, CA

dslx_nick

ISP Employee

Your connection type is using a dynamic (random) IP, so what you're seeing is just random coincidence... unless your computer (or another one on your network) is infected with a virus which is 'broadcasting out' and notifying other computers what your current IP address is. If a computer on your network were running a torrent program, that might explain it too.

dslx_steve
Premium Member
join:2011-03-24
Winnetka, CA

dslx_steve to shenginc9

Premium Member

to shenginc9
It is also likely that the activity you are seeing is just "internet background radiation", random packets aimed at your IP address. As long as you have an active software firewall and/or router on your connection, you should be safe from this. See:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In ··· nd_noise

for more info.