how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

chinorider0

join:2008-08-08
Chino Hills, CA
reply to birdfeedr

Re: [DVR] Replacing DVR -Shows on External Drive Accessible?

I was on the phone with Verizon this morning with the same question since my DVR fan is going bad and I need to replace the DVR.

The Verizon tech told me the shows recorded on the External drive would be OK with the new DVR but the shows recorded internally would be lost. He mentioned that is why all recording is done to the external drive first, until external drive is full and then recording starts on the internal drive.

I sure hope this is true.

PJL

join:2008-07-24
Long Beach, CA
kudos:2

said by chinorider0:

I was on the phone with Verizon this morning with the same question since my DVR fan is going bad and I need to replace the DVR.

The Verizon tech told me the shows recorded on the External drive would be OK with the new DVR but the shows recorded internally would be lost. He mentioned that is why all recording is done to the external drive first, until external drive is full and then recording starts on the internal drive.

You would likely be better off believing the posters on this forum than then Verizon support.

nycdave
Premium,MVM
join:1999-11-16
Melville, NY
kudos:16
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to chinorider0

said by chinorider0:

Nope...

Once the eSATA drive is plugged into a new DVR, you have to format it in order to use it....

chinorider0

Chino Hills, CA
reply to PJL

I can hope...but the posters are probably right in this case.

Thanks for the reply

birdfeedr
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-11
Warwick, RI
kudos:9
reply to chinorider0

said by chinorider0:

Because of the lost recordings problem, if it was me with a bad fan in a DVR, I'd break any potential warranty, open the case and replace the fan. It's a standard size and connection.

Someone else would say "don't do that, it's VZ's equipment." I'd say I'll take my chances since I'm fairly experienced at such repairs. If I screwed the pooch and had to turn it in, I'd own up to any back charge, but I wouldn't go without a protest against the impossibility of a simple repair where I get the original equipment back so I don't lose the existing recordings. VZ is not set up that way at all, not even close.

Of course, I could let it run without the fan until I smelled smoke, then play innocent.

When you know what you're doing, are willing to take a chance, and are willing to take responsibility, the choice is easy.

chinorider0

Chino Hills, CA

That was my first thought but the case is riveted, not screws...

Thanks

rtcy
FACTS only please
Premium
join:1999-10-16
Norwalk, CA

1 edit

said by chinorider0:

That was my first thought but the case is riveted, not screws...

Thanks

if really interested a small drill bit (new and sharp !!)the size of the hole on the rivet well a tad bigger than the hole and with MUCH care you can drill on the hole just enough to cleanly cut said rivet and make the head fall off.

all this is a no-no unless you have skil set needed while you have it open try expanding the dive and plug it in nothing to loose