Morfein
Lead Peon
Premium Member
join:2004-09-08
Brownsburg, IN

Morfein

Premium Member

Give them incentive to not upgrade the lines

Oh... we can cause congestion if we don't upgrade these systems. Then price gouge those using it, while also saving money by not doing those upgrades....

win/win

..but not for the consumer.
devnuller
join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

2 edits

devnuller

said by Morfein:

Oh... we can cause congestion if we don't upgrade these systems. Then price gouge those using it, while also saving money by not doing those upgrades....

This statement and topic is TOTAL FUD.

1) ALL Networks are CONSTANTLY being upgrade to keep up with demand. Anyone that makes statements to the contrary has no idea what they are talking about. Check out Sandvine and Cisco reports showing networks regularly doubling to keep up with demand.
2) An extreme minority of users are impacted by broadband usage caps. Those that use 100X more than everyone else shouldn't be subsidized by the rest of us.... the 1% driving the majority of the upgrade cost for the 99%.
said by Sandvine Report :

In North America, the top 1% of subscribers who make the heaviest use of the network’s upstream resources account for 38.6% of total upstream traffic. The comparable downstream users account for 12.8% of downstream bytes. At the opposite end of the usage spectrum, the network’s lightest 50% of users account for only 5.2 % of total monthly traffic.

3) Broadband prices have been relatively flat with more speeds being added every year

Now let's talk about a real problem surprisingly ignored and accepted.

1) Wireless plans are starting to cost more than full triple play services. How is that justified?
2) $30 data plans / phone for a few GB??!?!?
3) Overages that impact the MAJORITY vs the minority
4) Wireless driving users to use their broadband vs their network
intok (banned)
join:2012-03-15

intok (banned)

said by devnuller:

said by Morfein:

This statement and topic is TOTAL FUD.

1) ALL Networks are CONSTANTLY being upgrade to keep up with demand. Anyone that makes statements to the contrary has no idea what they are talking about. Check out Sandvine and Cisco reports showing networks regularly doubling to keep up with demand.

Bullshit.

If that where the case I wouldn't still be stuck on 1/384.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

your neighborhood is not worthy of shareholder dollars is all. you can bet you will still be 1/384 while the McMansion developments with people pulling high six figures will have gigabit.
devnuller
join:2006-06-10
Cambridge, MA

1 recommendation

devnuller to intok

to intok
said by intok:

If that where the case I wouldn't still be stuck on 1/384.

Ah... extreme corner cases. The data all great arguments here are built on.
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd

Premium Member

He does have a point though, If they truly where upgrading networks constantly he would not be at 2003 speeds still.
boller4prez
join:2008-08-20

boller4prez to devnuller

to devnuller
1) ALL Networks are CONSTANTLY being upgraded to keep up with demand. Anyone that makes statements to the contrary has no idea what they are talking about. Check out Sandvine and Cisco reports showing networks regularly doubling to keep up with demand.

The cost to deliver a GB is constantly going down to neighborhood of a penny. Yes, networks are constantly being upgraded but so is the technology behind the scenes.

2) An extreme minority of users are impacted by broadband usage caps. Those that use 100X more than everyone else shouldn't be subsidized by the rest of us.... the 1% driving the majority of the upgrade cost for the 99%.

That would be fine if the $$ of overages were A) Being used to upgrade existing infrastructure B) Proved to be necessary.

As of now all you are doing is paying the same to receive less service. After all, the telco companies don't rebate you any money back if you happen to go under the arbitrary cap they've set in place.

They only charge you if you go over.

Rex
@comcast.net

Rex to devnuller

Anon

to devnuller

2) An extreme minority of users are impacted by broadband usage caps.

How about throttling?

Are we extreme minorities too?

See, I'm not a big user of streaming video, and the only time I use torrent networks is when I download a Linux/FreeBSD disc, which is perfectly legal as this is how many of them are distributed.

I am, however, tying to get some work done this weekend, but I've been thwarted by Comcast all day.

I am a Systems Administrator, so I pay $115+ tax for the highest broadband tier they offer (50Mbs), but when I begin transferring files via rsync and sftp, my transfers get progressively slower until they move at about 56Kbps.

Try moving a 4gig tarball through at that speed.

Oh, and I haven't even hit my bandwidth cap this month. I never do.

So, here I sit in what is supposedly the greatest country in the world, in one of the most tech-centric cities in the world (Seattle), paying over $100/month for broadband, and I'm getting the same speeds as I was in 1997.

And more often than not, I listen to my fellow consumers tell me that this is just fine ... after all ... I'm using more data than the average person.

God forbid an American spend his/her weekend on the Internet doing something more than watching compressed YouTube videos of men getting hit in the groin with a football. While the rest of the world leaves us further and further behind in broadband usage, we just apologize for monopolies that we have while blaming the customer.

There is no less intellectual approach to the problem than blaming the "1%".

There will always be a 1%.

Always.

When you kick off today's 1%, tomorrow's 2% becomes the 1%, until they get kicked off an the 3% becomes the 1% ...

Assuming they're all evil just because you aren't one of them, is kind of the problem with the American public in general.

According to the American public, it's always the other guy who gets too much government assistance. It's always the guy down the street who gets too much healthcare. It's always our neighbor who uses too much bandwidth.

It's all his fault.

And it's all the big, bad, broadband user's fault that he actually uses that big, expensive connection.

If he'd only grab a beer and turn on the football game like a normal person, he wouldn't have the problems that he does.

The way things are going, it looks like that's going to be my fate soon. Comcast has made it a very unproductive day.

Not that I can blame them. I'm completely at fault here.

After all, I'm an American consumer. I'm always at fault.