Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

1 recommendation

Jodokast96 to pcdebb

Premium Member

to pcdebb

Re: mirrorless camera...good?

Being a Pentax shooter, I have a Q. I got it for a good price, and like it enough that I'm probably going to pick up a second one so I don't have to fight my daughter for it. What I really like about mine is the ability to get an adapter to mount my other lenses to it. With the crop sensor (5.5x), it gives you a whole lot of reach. I've seen some extreme setups with people mounting them to 600mm lenses, lol. That's about a 3000mm equivalent! Generally though, I use mine as a P&S replacement. But more versatile.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by Jodokast96:

Being a Pentax shooter

And what I have always appreciated about Pentax they are legacy everything maybe with limitations still work... and as the DLSR's got popular you could pick up old very quality glass used M and A lenses real cheap, even some of the early auto film lenses that would still work with the DSLR's.

Some of the other big brands (OK N/C) made a POINT of the fact you have to go all new, lot of old stuff just won't work right.

Again older Pentax lenses limited auto capabilities, but ALL still work to their abilities on any modern Pentax camera, and to capabilities they never had before like M/A lenses focus manually slowly dialed in AF confirmation and exposure if camera left in AF vs M mode with them. Very useful especially in low light situations... with those great old F1.2/0 and 2.0 28 and 50mm M/A lenses.

Even Pentax's IS is legacy lens adaptable, again a capability they never had. N/C nope gotta buy the internally IS lenses for that....

Arguably better (but have to buy it over and over in each lens), but Pentax's body based imager stabilization works very well, and again on any lens they (or others) have ever made for them... not just latest and greatest.

And again mirror or mirror less the lenses especially for the same brand should just plain work, shouldn't be starting all over again, just because its not reflex anymore.

And haven't had eyes on one yet, but the advantage of reflex is optical TTL POV... so they better have a damn good EVF even in very low light, maybe that is real now, but pre DSL I liked EVF on quasi DSL cams but suffered badly in low light but did video when DSLR's didn't and many biggies here said just couldn't (we know different now and said then I'll be telling you told you so to many stalwarts here who claimed NEVER POSSIBLE a few years ago) IT was like I was saying 12/12 was coming not just natural progression

There have been REAL MOVIES and videos shot entirely on HD DSLR's

Shit changes, some see it coming, others tooth and nail rooted say never, but inevitably WRONG.

And thank you PENTAX for NOT being one of THEM both appreciating you past and looking forward.

And actually I find this Mirror less thing most amusing... what quasi DSLR were a few years ago.

Maybe EVF have gotten that much better??? Again havent seen one of late... but the total opposite of 10 years ago saying they quasi SLR EVF thing was limited but great...

Now having been banned for arguing such for a while years ago when the tech wasn't there yet... funny to see it so turned around... and now people have to defend the mirror reflex.

Been a nice hybrid for a while... reflex for still and mirror less for video(though can be hard to see in daylight...why no vid VF).

They both have their places... and hope optical reflex never goes away.

And that is what I so much appreciate about Pentax, they both appreciate, cherish and SUPPORT their past, and still look to the future.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

TL, DR . . .

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by Coma:

TL, DR . . .

Nice cryptology, want to actually say something?

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

Another late night of rambling that I found Too Long & Didn't Read.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by Coma:

Another late night of rambling that I found Too Long & Didn't Read.

But of course still had to needlessly comment on, and take the effort to BOLD tag.

And it was a reply to Jodokast96 anyways.

Slidetbone
Mazin Go
Premium Member
join:2002-11-10
Land O Lakes, FL

Slidetbone to Jodokast96

Premium Member

to Jodokast96
I went with a Pentax K-01. Since I jumped the gun on the K-7, I was looking for a back up Pentax camera and didn't want to drop more on a K-5. The K-01 was a little too steep at first but in the past few months they dropped pricing to around $250-$325 and I will say this; the camera totally ROCKS! The high ISO low noise capability of this gem is amazing! Yes it looks like a brick but it is worth the money!