spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

VZted

join:2009-08-30

[speed/latency] Speed dropped from 3 Mbps to 740 kbps

My download speeds have dropped considerably in the last month or so, from the 3 Mbps that I'm paying for to 740 kbps or lower. I called Verizon but they keep telling me that it's working fine and that the problem is resolved. A local tech visited the premises and found that my line is fine. (I know the results of the ping test.) He told me that the problem is with Verizon's end. He seemed perturbed about coming out and not finding a problem. I keep calling back but the last call I had to go through more menu items than previously and I had to create a PIN to get to the phone help! I feel as though more roadblocks are being thrown up by Verizon to getting this resolved.

We have a bundle with unlimited local and unlimited long-distance in addition to the DSL. If I switch to another provider, I'm thinking of canceling all of those services, which add up to about three times the cost of the DSL alone.

Does anyone have advice other than calling them several times a day?

Demonfang

join:2011-04-21
Spring Mills, PA
kudos:1
i might have a couple ideas, but need some more info on the actual state of the dsl line, could you post up your transceiver statistics? if you don't know where to find them, post up modem model number.

VZted

Here are the transceiver statistics.

Transceiver Statistics
Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2944 864
Margin (dB) 25.5 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 34.0 18.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 19.5 11.9

VZted

I do know that the loop length of my line is 9600 feet and its maximum attainable interleaved bit rate is 7616 kbps downstream and 896 kbps upstream.

Demonfang

Spring Mills, PA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to VZted
the only thing i see wrong there is that your downstream sync is a tad low (should be 3360, not 2944). otherwise your line looks great, and i see no reason why it shouldn't be at the full 3Mbps speed (both sync, and real-world throughput). my guess would be router congestion, meaning verizon trying to cram too many people on one backbone, and everyone suffering as a result; something that is becoming more and more common.

tim-k should be able to fix the congestion issue, and get that fixed. as for the sync issue, i would say restart the modem and see if the sync goes to 3360; if it doesn't, it might've optimized you for some reason.

VZted

Demonfang,

I appreciate all your help!

I rebooted the modem. The only change is the downstream margin went from 25.5 dB to 28.8 dB; the downstream speed is still 2944 kbps.

Transceiver Revision A2pB020b3.d20h
Vendor ID Code 4D54
Line Mode ADSL_G.dmt
Data Path INTERLEAVED

Transceiver Information Down Stream Path Up Stream Path
DSL Speed (Kbits/Sec) 2944 864
Margin (dB) 28.8 10.0
Line Attenuation (dB) 34.0 18.0
Transmit Power (dBm) 19.5 11.9

Demonfang

Spring Mills, PA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
hmmm, that definitely sounds like some sort of optimization, that isn't really needed, considering the great noise margin.

1-866-376-3216 [verizon presidential appeals department]
(press 0 if it asks for an extension number)

give that number a call, preferably when service is being slow, they should be able to help you resolve things, including resetting the sync speed on the line.

tim_k
Buttons, Bows, Beamer, Shadow, Kasey
Premium,VIP
join:2002-02-02
Stewartstown, PA
kudos:40

1 recommendation

reply to VZted
For some reason the database now says you only qualify for: VzBB Speed : EAST_768-128. I can't over ride that. The system just cancels my changes. The database shows the change is pending so I have no options at this time. I don't know who to contact anymore to get the db changed. I'll see if there's anything that can be done once the change is complete, but not until Weds.

[12/25/12 00:31:32] Downstream Upstream
[12/25/12 00:31:32] Relative Capacity 12 22
[12/25/12 00:31:32] Noise Margin 16 31
[12/25/12 00:31:32] Transmit Signal Power 7 12
[12/25/12 00:31:32] Attenuation 34 16
[12/25/12 00:31:32] Interleaved Bit Rate 864 160 (in use)
[12/25/12 00:31:32] Intr Max Attainable BR 7616 992 (in use)
[12/25/12 00:31:32] Fast Channel Bit Rate 0 0 (not in use)
[12/25/12 00:31:32] Fast Max Attainable BR 7616 992 (not in use)
[12/25/12 00:31:32]

you obviously should be able to get much higher.
--
RIP my babies Buttons 1/15/94-2/9/07, Beamer 7/24/08, & Bows 12/17/94-10/11/09

VZted

Thank you very much for your help. This would be consistent with what I'm seeing: much lower, stable speeds 'round the clock. We haven't asked to move to a slower service plan, so this must be a mistake. (I hope!) I'm patient and can wait until Wednesday to see what can be done.

VZted

reply to tim_k
Tim_k, thanks for the help! My speed is back to where it used to be. I greatly appreciate your help, especially as it was so frustrating to try to work with the 1-(800)-Verizon help techs, who kept telling me that my service was working correctly.

tim_k
Premium,VIP
Stewartstown, PA

1 recommendation

reply to VZted
any time

Jekyllmd

join:2008-05-15
Tim,

first post to the DSL reports but Im hoping you can help me. I've been experencing a .1 down and .7 up speed for the past month and its driving me quite nuts. I should be getting 3 down and 1up and having a 5 year old and getting new toys for xmas and not able to use them on his laptop makes be go bald from pulling my hair out.

Anyway, Ive been calling Verizon and talking to 5 different techs with no help, they keep blaming my modem for the problems that Im having and having two different modems they continue to blame my modem.

Can you give me a number to call so I can talk to someone that knows how to fix this issue instead of talking with someone that just reads from a manual.

neilemon

join:2010-06-06
united state
Try 1-800-483-7988 Verizon customer relations for the phone contact.

I'm assuming you've tried the basic stuff:
-unplug all phones & microfilters if you have them
-make sure the modem is directly plugged in to the line
-plug modem in at the network interface if that's possible
-if you hear line noise with just 1 phone plugged in then probably is copper related, test at the network interface if possible

If you post your modem stats the regulars here might be able to assist.

Best wishes...

Jekyllmd

thanks for the reply Neilemon

Yes I've been through all the steps and combinations you can think of, different modems, routers and just plugged directly into the modem. All combinations yeld the same results.

I did not try the line noise test, I have one phone plugged into the house so that should be easy to try.

How do I post my modems stats. Right now its in bridged mode so I would have to do this through my router. Correct?

Jekyllmd

reply to VZted

Will this work?

neilemon

join:2010-06-06
united state
Hi Jekyllmd:

I asked about the "ear test" because in my situation I hear static and noise just on voice with the a single phone at the network interface- so that rules out all the inside wire and my modem(s). Also would point to a line issue rather than DSL itself.

If you accidentally plugged the modem into a filter that would drastically reduce your speed. I've stretched a cord out the window and plugged it directly into the network interface, again to bypass inside wire.

With my Westell 6100, tranceiver stats are here:
»192.168.1.1/htmlV/transtat.asp

The techs here might want to see these numbers.

My 3 meg has been squashed for months, so I empathize..

Jekyllmd

Neilemon, thank you for all the responses to my questions. It seems I get better results posting the questions here then I do when I call verizon.

Anywho, I just called verizon again for the 6th time and opened a rock ticket. I hope that is what I need to fix this issue. Im now getting .01 down and .7 up.

I did the ear test at the nic and did not hear any static on the line so as I told Verizon manytimes that its not my house.

Neilemon, IM using a wetell 2200 and a asus rt-n66r router and if you tell me how to post my stats to the modem I can then post them if it would help.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
kudos:7
Reviews:
·PenTeleData
·Verizon Online DSL
said by Jekyllmd:

Neilemon, IM using a wetell 2200 and a asus rt-n66r router and if you tell me how to post my stats to the modem I can then post them if it would help.

While I am not that user, I can help too.

#1 If the following things are true...

a) You did not follow that »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?

b) The WAN port of the asus rt-n66r is connected to the LAN port of your Westell.

c) You did not change the LAN IP of the Westell.

d) And if your asus rt-n66r does not have a LAN IP that starts with 192.168.1

...OR the following things are true..

a) You did not follow that »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100?

b) The WAN port of the asus rt-n66r is not connected to the LAN port of your Westell.

c) You did not change the LAN IP of the Westell.

d) And if your asus rt-n66r has a LAN IP that starts with 192.168.1

...Then visit 192.168.1.1 for us and do the following:

a) If you see a Blue and White Westell page, mouse over Troubleshooting, go to DSL, and choose Transceiver Statistics. Copy and Paste the information on that page.

b) If using the Red and Black Firmware: Go to System Monitoring > Advanced Monitors > Transceiver Statistics. Copy and Paste the information on that page.

c) Try visiting 192.168.1.1/transtat.htm which is a direct link to the stats on older modems.

d) If you need a Username and Password, try the following:

admin/password

admin/password1

admin/admin

admin/admin1

admin/Serial Number.

By Serial Number, I don't mean type in the words Serial Number. I mean find and type in the serial number found on the bottom of this router.

#2 If you followed »Verizon Online DSL FAQ »How do I use a router with the Westell 6100? and if you don't know how to access it while it setup like that:

a) Is this asus rt-n66r running any third party firmware on it?

For example DD-WRT or Tomato.

b) While I know your asus rt-n66r has a built in switch: Do you have a switch that is not part of router?

c) Did you not change the LAN IP of the Westell?

d) Your asus rt-n66r does not have a LAN IP that starts with 192.168.1?
--
Please use the "yellow (IM) envelope" to contact me and please leave the URL intact.

Jekyllmd

reply to VZted
Does this help.

I just received my new modem from Verizon today with guess what, the same results.

I took the screen shot plugged directly into the new modem (westell 6100) using my desktop and no router and did a speed test to get the same results. .1 mg down and .7 mg up.

Anyone got any ideas, this has been going on since Dec 24 and all my son wants to do is play with his new christmas gifts.

tim_k
Premium,VIP
Stewartstown, PA
click on my user ID and send me a private message with your phone number, I'll check it out.