spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

old wire guy

@bhn.net

[Tampa] home wiring - how old is too old for "Lightning&quo

I was called this week because we have been such "wonderful customers", and were offered a 'Lightning' internet package at an attractive price. I'm just thankful to get some kind of deal this time of year. The install is tomorrow. Our home was wired by Time Warner (or AT&T, or whoever was the original cable provider back in 1989... it's hard to remember). I now have a 15/2 level service over which I'm lucky to get to 10/1 maybe 50% of the time, and 4/0.5 the rest of the time. I got tired of being told it wasn't BrightHouse's fault that surfing or dowloading from even big-named companies on the spine of the internet was slow. I got 12/1 from BrightHouse servers so they were happy. Although a reason was never found after many (many, many) service attempts, one tech who I saw at a friend's home suggested replacing the wiring as a possible fix. Rather than pay several hundred dollars to have it replaced I just decided to live with what I have. Now I'm worried about paying even more for this 40/4 service and not being able to achieve it. Could the 23 year old cable wiring in the home be a problem achieving 40/4? Has the quality of cable wiring changed enough to matter? If so, is there a way to get this replaced through BrightHouse at a special price since my developement has had a contract for each of us since 1989 (and we've been customers that long too)? I'm just trying to get some priliminary facts in case I do have an issue tomorrow and I'm told the same old BrightHouse company line of, "It's not our fault man. It's [insert your excuse here]!" Thanks.

tim tim tim

join:2010-08-14
Lutz, FL
kudos:2

Re: [Tampa] home wiring - how old is too old for "Lightning

The age of the cable in your home doesnt really matter when it comes to getting the speeds you pay for.

There are many variables here but assuming that the cable isn't damaged in any way, 20 year old cable will do the 40/4 just as well as a brand new cable. My house wiring is about 20 years old and is all rg59 and I dont have any issues with speed or reliability on any of my services.

BHNtechXpert
BHN Staff
Premium,VIP
join:2006-02-16
Saint Petersburg, FL
kudos:151
reply to old wire guy
said by old wire guy :

I was called this week because we have been such "wonderful customers", and were offered a 'Lightning' internet package at an attractive price. I'm just thankful to get some kind of deal this time of year. The install is tomorrow. Our home was wired by Time Warner (or AT&T, or whoever was the original cable provider back in 1989... it's hard to remember). I now have a 15/2 level service over which I'm lucky to get to 10/1 maybe 50% of the time, and 4/0.5 the rest of the time. I got tired of being told it wasn't BrightHouse's fault that surfing or dowloading from even big-named companies on the spine of the internet was slow. I got 12/1 from BrightHouse servers so they were happy. Although a reason was never found after many (many, many) service attempts, one tech who I saw at a friend's home suggested replacing the wiring as a possible fix. Rather than pay several hundred dollars to have it replaced I just decided to live with what I have. Now I'm worried about paying even more for this 40/4 service and not being able to achieve it. Could the 23 year old cable wiring in the home be a problem achieving 40/4? Has the quality of cable wiring changed enough to matter? If so, is there a way to get this replaced through BrightHouse at a special price since my developement has had a contract for each of us since 1989 (and we've been customers that long too)? I'm just trying to get some priliminary facts in case I do have an issue tomorrow and I'm told the same old BrightHouse company line of, "It's not our fault man. It's [insert your excuse here]!" Thanks.

You don't worry about the wiring in your home..if its too old we'll fix that...at no charge. Your only worry will be what you will do you with all that new bandwidth and if theres a problem you call on me and I'll take care of it.
--
~All truth goes through three phases. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer ~