join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to goalieskates

Re: Rental PCs Spy On Users

said by goalieskates:

said by Dustyn:

People rent computers?

Sadly, poor people do. Like the unemployed.

Well... that seems backwards to me.
Why rent at all? Especially if you are poor or unemployed. I don't get it. Used computers are dirt cheap to own.
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

1 recommendation

said by Dustyn:

said by goalieskates:

said by Dustyn:

People rent computers?

Sadly, poor people do. Like the unemployed.

Well... that seems backwards to me.
Why rent at all? Especially if you are poor or unemployed. I don't get it. Used computers are dirt cheap to own.

It IS backwards for the rest of us. But when people are on a limited but regular income, they can't afford the price of a used computer (a lump sum) but they can afford "easy" weekly payments.

They wind up paying a lot more, of course, and often a lot more than it's worth. Now that so many jobs require you to apply online, they don't really have a choice if they're not close to a library or other free access. It's a different economy, and victimizes a lot of people on fixed incomes: the unemployed, the elderly, the disabled, students - it's one of the real shames of our society.

TheMG
Premium
join:2007-09-04
Canada
kudos:3
Reviews:
·NorthWest Tel
said by goalieskates:

It IS backwards for the rest of us. But when people are on a limited but regular income, they can't afford the price of a used computer (a lump sum) but they can afford "easy" weekly payments.

It still doesn't really make any sense.

Used computers can be easily obtained for free. People and organizations are literally throwing their old computers away. All anyone has to do is ask around, and you shall receive.

Sure, it's not going to be the latest and greatest, but for web browsing, email, and some light multimedia usage, perfectly adequate.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

said by TheMG:

\Sure, it's not going to be the latest and greatest, but for web browsing, email, and some light multimedia usage, perfectly adequate.

Web browsing? Contemporary race of new and new version releases among main web browsers, that we're experiencing right now, made it almost impossible to use old hardware. They (new browsers) become huge memory hogs, taking hundreds of megabytes of memory to run... And, at the same time, there is new tendency, that I have not seen before - more and more web sites start rejecting old web browsers and requiring you to install the latest one just to visit them (for no real reason, whatsoever).

Web browsers, IMHO become the main reason for making old hardware obsolete way too soon. Not an image editing software (or gaming or some kind of CAD software), where you may expect request for more memory, not. It's the web browsers now...

I can give you my old computers and you can use them for almost anything, but simple web browsing.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...