share rss forum feed

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to BrettD

Re: [Voip.ms] voip.ms compromised the privacy of Canadian teleph

Good points, BrettD See Profile. I actually admire your respect to privacy and fresh view on this important subject. As you can see from this thread, we have different cultures. One that respects privacy and freedoms (very small portion of posts here share that feeling). And another one, that gives a damn about it and calls "Asshat" everyone around, who thinks different. Keep in mind that we, in the US, live in a bubble, covering us with the main idea, that there is no privacy anymore, the all-seeing eye is everywhere and therefore any attempt to protect it is completely futile... This bubble was indoctrinated into our minds by media and education during past several decades. And it becomes difficult to deal with it now.

With regards that everything is going through US backbones (mentioned in this tread multiple times), I don't think it means that all traffic between Canadian sites is monitored by XXX agencies. I guess it's regulated by some treaties between respecting countries (you may want to check it). So, it's not so bad, as many try to convince you here (proving, first of all to themselves, that the battle for privacy protection is already lost).

Keep your believes strong and continue your battle accordingly to them. Good luck.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

nitzan
Premium,VIP
join:2008-02-27
kudos:8

1 recommendation

said by OZO:

As you can see from this thread, we have different cultures. One that respects privacy and freedoms (very small portion of posts here share that feeling). And another one, that gives a damn about it and calls "Asshat" everyone around, who thinks different.

That's not the issue. I completely and totally believe in and support privacy. The problem is that the OP is coming out and blaming Voip.MS specifically for "compromising" his privacy when he really shouldn't have expected any to begin with. There is no privacy with any sort of unencrypted communication - VOIP included. Accusing a provider of compromising your privacy because they let their packets pass through the US is ridiculous - as if the Canadian government doesn't do the exact same thing. If you want privacy - implement (and pay for) encryption.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
said by nitzan:

said by OZO:

As you can see from this thread, we have different cultures. One that respects privacy and freedoms (very small portion of posts here share that feeling). And another one, that gives a damn about it and calls "Asshat" everyone around, who thinks different.

That's not the issue. I completely and totally believe in and support privacy. The problem is that the OP is coming out and blaming Voip.MS specifically for "compromising" his privacy when he really shouldn't have expected any to begin with. There is no privacy with any sort of unencrypted communication - VOIP included. Accusing a provider of compromising your privacy because they let their packets pass through the US is ridiculous - as if the Canadian government doesn't do the exact same thing. If you want privacy - implement (and pay for) encryption.

Pretty much. I don't have much expectation for privacy when using VoIP, POTS, cellphones and e-mail. I'm no expert but I know enough to know that, well, "lots of things can happen" on those networks. I think the OP and OZO are mistaking a "well, duh!" with respect/love for privacy.