Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to WhaleOilBee

Premium Member

to WhaleOilBee

Re: [Contest] 12 DAYS of GIVEAWAYS

said by WhaleOilBee:

I see more and more reputable companies asking me to 'like" them on FB. Prizes and rewards are based on doing that. Personally, I think it's a pathetic, needy sounding marketing strategy. If there was a "hate you" function on FB ( is there? ) I might just be tempted to get a FB account just to "hate" the lot of them.

Yep... That kind of stuff ticks me off... Shame to see TSI going down this path with their marketing...

Oh well. Other factors will determine if end up staying a customer long term anyway, not some silly FB only contest...
quidnunc
join:2011-03-03
Richmond Hill, ON

quidnunc

it's a giveaway, but it's also a promotion. pretty simple. you enter the contest in exchange for some advertising on your wall. i don't know what the big deal is

CrazyCanuckz
@reliablehosting.com

CrazyCanuckz

Anon

It is a big deal, seriously I wouldn't risk my privacy for some prize. It isn't worth it. Both facebook and twitter restrict information! I thought Teksavvy is fighting for net neutrality in fact they are not really.

TSI Marc
Premium Member
join:2006-06-23
Chatham, ON

1 recommendation

TSI Marc

Premium Member

WOW. I hadn't even noticed this thread.

Well, I think I'm about good to call it a year.

Happy holidays all.
Expand your moderator at work
graniterock
Premium Member
join:2003-03-14
London, ON

1 recommendation

graniterock to TSI Marc

Premium Member

to TSI Marc

Re: [Contest] 12 DAYS of GIVEAWAYS

said by TSI Marc:

WOW. I hadn't even noticed this thread.

Well, I think I'm about good to call it a year.

Happy holidays all.

Sometimes I'm critical... but it's because I care and want to see TSI succeed. I hope the holidays are a restful one Marc! I think it's been a tough year.
koreyb
Open the Canadian Market NOW
join:2005-01-08
Etobicoke, ON

2 edits

koreyb to CrazyCanuckz

to CrazyCanuckz
said by CrazyCanuckz :

It is a big deal, seriously I wouldn't risk my privacy for some prize. It isn't worth it. Both facebook and twitter restrict information! I thought Teksavvy is fighting for net neutrality in fact they are not really.

Wow... Well simple answer... Don't agree... Don't take part.. Its as simple as that... This thread is rediculously long for something so stupid..

nanook
MVM
join:2007-12-02

nanook

MVM

said by graniterock:

Sometimes I'm critical... but it's because I care and want to see TSI succeed.

I hope the holidays are a restful one Marc!

said by koreyb:

Wow... Well simple answer... Don't agree... Don't take part.. Its as simple as that... This thread is rediculously long for something so stupid..

The points many of us are trying to make here include:

- If TekSavvy wants to reach out to customers, whether for a contest or to keep us apprised of more pressing issues, Facebook and Twitter won't do it for many of us.

- Although this is a bit of a digression, posting announcements on the DSLReports TekSavvy forum won't reach the vast majority of TekSavvy's customers either. I know lots of TekSavvy customers who don't even know this forum exists, let alone who monitor it.

- E-mail, perhaps with links to web pages and/or blogs, remains the single most universal and reliable means of communications from TekSavvy to its customer base. Unfortunately it's also the one TekSavvy seems to use the least.
Bhruic
join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON

1 recommendation

Bhruic

said by nanook:

- If TekSavvy wants to reach out to customers, whether for a contest or to keep us apprised of more pressing issues, Facebook and Twitter won't do it for many of us.

It's not for customers. Anyone can participate in the contest, whether they have TSI internet or not. All they have to do is like the page, pop in an email address and they are in. If you don't want to participate, that's your call, no one is making you, or making you have a Facebook page, but that's the way they've decided to run the contest.

nanook
MVM

nanook

MVM

said by Bhruic:

If you don't want to participate, that's your call, no one is making you, or making you have a Facebook page, but that's the way they've decided to run the contest.

I could care less about contests. The concern that I'm trying to pass to TekSavvy is that they not rely on Facebook, Twitter, etc. as their main or sole means of communicating important stuff to their customers. That's all.
Bhruic
join:2002-11-27
Toronto, ON

Bhruic

said by nanook:

I could care less about contests. The concern that I'm trying to pass to TekSavvy is that they not rely on Facebook, Twitter, etc. as their main or sole means of communicating important stuff to their customers. That's all.

And where is the example of them doing that? And why bring it up in a contest thread? I mean, in what I quoted, you specifically state "whether for a contest", which gave the impression you do care about contests.

Personally, I don't want TSI to be only communicating via Facebook/Twitter either, but I haven't seen them doing that. All I've seen them do is only do a contest on Facebook, which since it's not for customers only, doesn't seem like it's a problem.

nanook
MVM

nanook

MVM

said by Bhruic:

I mean, in what I quoted, you specifically state "whether for a contest", which gave the impression you do care about contests.

The full quote, with context, is "whether for a contest or to keep us apprised of more pressing issues..." makes it clear that I don't care about contests. The concern I'm trying to express to TekSavvy is that they not extend this beyond contests and other such trivia to more important stuff. It's also meant to point out that if TekSavvy wants to include all of their customers in a promotion, Facebook and Twitter alone won't accomplish that.

Personally, I don't want TSI to be only communicating via Facebook/Twitter either

Agreed. I've noticed over the years that much important stuff gets communicated only on DSLReports. [One example is the stop-sell on POTS transfers from Bhell. Another was the stop-sell on new cable installs. The only way to learn about them is to monitor DSLR or when you call TSI to request a transfer, which if you just gave notice to your current carrier is to late.]

That leaves out a lot of customers who don't participate here. I'd hate to see that practice extended to Facebook and Twitter. Many other posters on this thread have expressed similar concerns so it's not just me.

As for other companies doing this sort of stuff, lately several I deal with have offered discounts and promotions restricted to registered FB users, thus excluding me and many others like me. It's a trend that I don't want to see adopted by TekSavvy, which is why I expressed my concern, and nothing more.

kragop
join:2006-02-15
Scarborough, ON

kragop to CrazyCanuckz

to CrazyCanuckz
The big deal is that I was looking forward to this. I've come to see it as a Teksavvy annual tradition, where customers have a chance to win something exciting. Most importantly, the big deal is that we are being excluded from the possibility of winning a prize because some of us, like me, don't use facebook, twitter, or any other form of social networking, as we value or privacy. Hence, Teksavvy's marketing department, didn't think the contest through, and limited the entry options to those that have access via social networking sites. Furthermore, the contest was not communicated via e-mail to customers, yet again excluding potential entrants.

In essence, Teksavvy violated its own commitment to its customers: "At TekSavvy, we are committed to giving our customers the best Internet service possible. In fact, we pride ourselves on that: on being able to give you faster speeds and more bandwidth than you thought possible, all for a great price, with great customer service, and with no contracts and no hidden fees. Focusing on the bolded areas of this statement, it becomes evident that Teksavvy's commitment is also to provide great customer service.

However, this was not case in this situation. Part of providing good customer service is to conduct activities and events that enhance the level of customer service, create feelings of community, and bring together employees and customers in a neutral atmosphere. In this situation this was not case. Certain clients are left feeling excluded, and clearly the contest itself is exclusive to those that are able to access it via social networking sites. I can safely now assert that a customer disservice was done here.

It should also be noted that I could not locate the exact definition of delivering "great customer service" on Teksavvy's website. Therefore, the term they used is vague and ambiguous. There are different levels of delivering "great customer service", and its not clear if Teksavvy's feels that this contest met its internal level of delivering customer service. Clearly, if marketing felt that this contest was ready to be rolled, than it could be asserted that it must have met some internal form of quality control that indicated this contest, in spite of its exclusionary practices, was ready to be rolled out.

Regardless, I will still be a Teksavvy client tomorrow- I'm not cancelling my service over a contest. I'm just ticked that a more inclusive approach was not taken.
chrisl83
join:2011-06-21
Almonte, ON

1 recommendation

chrisl83

I just hope for next year, after they find out no customers won.. and half the winners don't even know what teksavvy is, they make it customers only.

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero to kragop

Premium Member

to kragop
I'm hopeful they'll rectify this in March, if & when they have the Pot of Gold sweepstakes thing again. It just needs to be focused on account holders at large; (and maybe make provisions for the Quebec customers as well through the new Gatineau office).
TwiztedZero

1 edit

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Its almost Over

Click here to go there!

Playstation 3, 160GB System | Internet Player with Google TV | Sony 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player | Sony 3D Blu-Ray Home Theatre System | Sony VAIO Duo 11 Ultrabook | Sony 3D Blu-Ray Disc Player | Internet Player with Google TV | Sony 3D Blu-Ray Home Theatre System | Sony A37K DSLR Camera & Lens | Internet Player with Google TV | 46" Sony Bravia LED HX750 Internet HDTV | 55" Sony Bravia LED HX750 Internet HDTV

evil_gusgus
join:2008-04-14
London, ON

evil_gusgus

We are on day 10 of giveaways and not one giveaway since day 6?

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

1 edit

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

Apparently the TSI Marketing Team controls the contest.
So we'll have to just keep checking in to see who won the subsequent Days 7,8,9 & 10.

And yes I'm just as anxious as the rest of you to know the results.
Its a bit off putting that they haven't continued to post Winners since the middle of the contest - Marketing went on holidays, we assume.

Odd though that while the Marketing team is "away", they're still posting promo's about it on the Facebook page.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to chrisl83

Premium Member

to chrisl83
said by chrisl83:

I just hope for next year, after they find out no customers won.. and half the winners don't even know what teksavvy is, they make it customers only.

Haha yeah I wonder...

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

TwiztedZero

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

said by chrisl83:

Haha yeah I wonder...

Well later this year I expect there will be another Pot of Gold sweepstakes in March? So Y'all better let Teksavvy know you want this one done up right from the get go so TSI Customers can get in on it. And I guess thats gona be a whole other thread and make sure TSI's Marketing Dept. Knows!