Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to Dustyn

Premium Member

to Dustyn

Re: [Rant] LED lights are ugly crap

said by Dustyn:

I don't think I've ever come across a Christmas LED light that doesn't have that strobing flickering effect. Are the high quality ones that mimic incandescents sold in high end department stores? All I see at Canadian Tire, Wallmart or Home Hardware are the same flickery LED light pulses that are dizzying to look at.

Why do you see "strobing flickering" and I don't? Not saying you don't see it, just don't understand why you would see it and others don't. Weird. I just see bright, crisp, clear beautiful colors.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

It's just the way LED bulb technology is as they are designed to turn on and off very quickly. In most cases it's not perceptive by the human eye, but for some it is. Most are 60Hz as they run off 60Hz AC. (reminds me of the 60Hz refresh rate of an old CRT monitor) I haven't been able to find any that are twice as bright at 120Hz. These are supposedly flicker free, but they still flicker... just at a much faster rate. As PatPatate See Profile mentioned you could use a full-wave bridge rectifier at the socket end of the strand to get 120Hz.
»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ch ··· chnology
»boards.straightdope.com/ ··· t=583097
The above link I found quite interesting.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

Thanks for those links. Interesting read on something as simple as Xmas lights. I'm not a fan of the LED ones, although I have two stands in use but the rest are regular ones. Like the Wikipedia said I notice the Stroboscopic effect mostly when looking from side to side or moving across the field of view.
Expand your moderator at work

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium Member
join:2004-06-21

1 edit

Anonymous_ to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna

Re: [Rant] LED lights are ugly crap

said by La Luna:

said by Dustyn:

I don't think I've ever come across a Christmas LED light that doesn't have that strobing flickering effect. Are the high quality ones that mimic incandescents sold in high end department stores? All I see at Canadian Tire, Wallmart or Home Hardware are the same flickery LED light pulses that are dizzying to look at.

Why do you see "strobing flickering" and I don't? Not saying you don't see it, just don't understand why you would see it and others don't. Weird. I just see bright, crisp, clear beautiful colors.

Evolution

we have super human eyes that can detect motion and light better I seriously I have to crank up the refresh rate to about 120hz+ just to get rid of the flickering on CRT computer screens

LCD's must be below 12ms to eliminate the detectable pixel refresh

My brother had a screen that was 24ms I could see as each pixel refreshed and they did not refresh at the exact sametime and not of the same exact shade of color. Fairly annoying as I would get severe eye strain with in minutes.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

said by Anonymous_:

said by La Luna:

said by Dustyn:

Evolution

we have super human eyes that can detect motion and light better I seriously I have to crank up the refresh rate to about 120hz+ just to get rid of the flickering on CRT computer screens

LCD's must be below 12ms to eliminate the detectable pixel refresh

My brother had a screen that was 24ms I could see as each pixel refreshed and they did not refresh at the exact sametime and not of the same exact shade of color. Fairly annoying as I would get severe eye strain with in minutes.

I was behind a Mercedes before with LED tail lights and when sitting at a red light I almost wanted to put on sunglasses as his brake lights were so bright it lit up the whole interior of my car red, like I was driving thru hell or something. His running lights were as bright as most other cars brake lights.

Also some police cars with LED light bars are a bit too bright. I know they need to be seen for safety but shouldn't be blinding you.