uniqs
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Resume from Hibernate Very Slow

I have a client with an HP laptop, fairly current running Win7/64. The situation from day 1 is that resuming from hibernate consistently takes upwards of 5 minutes, longer than a fresh boot. I've done several searches on this and the suggestions seem to be all over the board in terms of the cause. I'm looking for some guidance as to what might be the "most likely" cause/solution. This also seems like finding a needle in a hay stack.

FizzyMyNizzy
join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

FizzyMyNizzy

disable hibernate, restart, and then enable it back on.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to bbear2

MVM

to bbear2
Try Fizzy's suggestion.

I sounds to me as if there is a process being re-established that is hanging up upon awakening.

By shutting off hibernate which erases the hibernate file, and then re-establishing a new hibernate procedure, that may correct the problem.

psafux
Premium Member
join:2005-11-10

psafux to bbear2

Premium Member

to bbear2
said by bbear2:

I've done several searches on this and the suggestions seem to be all over the board in terms of the cause.

The hibernate process is pretty simple. Everything in memory is dumped to a physical file on the system. When the system resumes that file is paged back to memory.

The issue you experiencing may not be tied to a particular issue thus the results you are finding. Instead it could be a symptom tied to other specific problems.
said by bbear2:

I'm looking for some guidance as to what might be the "most likely" cause/solution. This also seems like finding a needle in a hay stack.

There isn't a single answer to this problem as you have already discovered. Troubleshooting will be required.

Check event logs for hardware issues?

I would eliminate the OS from the equation if I found that turning it off & back on as already suggested didn't help. This can be done in one of many ways. If you find that the issue occurs regardless of the existing OS then you can be looking at a hardware issue. It's almost assuredly something with the OS though.

BIOS, drivers, etc, would be a good place to start too.

Since I have the capability, I would honestly throw a different hard drive in & reload the OS to see if the problem is still there. You could use a Live OS as well but hibernating a Live OS has its own issues since it requires non-volatile memory space (hard drive, etc). You may be able to use a flash drive in a pinch.
SipSizzurp
Fo' Shizzle
Premium Member
join:2005-12-28
Houston, TX

SipSizzurp to PeteC2

Premium Member

to PeteC2
said by PeteC2:

I sounds to me as if there is a process being re-established that is hanging up upon awakening.

That is what I was thinking. I have seen HP printer/scanner combo devices cause problems until you disable the scanner sync feature from startup.

Being an HP brand computer, you would do well to un-install all of the "special" HP hand holding software that it came with. Be sure to un-install the expired 90 day introductory version of Norton 359 degree, system wide, universal, super duper, Anti-Everything protection software and firewall COMBO, while you are at it.
bbear2
Premium Member
join:2003-10-06
dot.earth

bbear2

Premium Member

Thanks for all the suggestions. I think things are getting better but perhaps not exactly right yet. I also found out that there is an encryption program/password that runs before windows - anyway, here's what happens.

After resetting hibernate, I've now seen two different conditions. The first is whereby the encryption stuff is bypassed and it goes directly to enter Win7 resume password - almost immediately. I like this the best. Then there is the condition whereby is does not bypass the encryption password, that gets entered and from there takes about 60 seconds to come up. Certainly this is a far cry from the 5 minutes that I stated with, so thank you; but my question now is: why are there two different scenarios and is this the best it can be?

Also, if I look in the log file, what exactly would I be looking for?