spc
uniqs
billdz
join:2012-12-22
Fort Lauderdale, FL

billdz to Forosnai

to Forosnai

Re: [Home Network] Motorola NVG510 installed, Slingbox won't con

Hello, glad to have found this thread, hope someone can help. I have the same problem. My Slingbox was working fine until I "upgraded" to Uverse last week and they replaced my old router with a DVG510. The Slingbox is connected to a Buffalo Ethernet Converter, which is working fine. Every other device connecting to the internet with no problems.

As instructed above by Forosnai, I went to NAT/Gaming, found Slingbox on the Device drop down box, and selected it. Now, what to select for Needed by Device? In the drop down box, I see my computers, my cell phones, and some IP addresses, all starting with 192.168.1. On the Slingbox web page under Advanced Manual Set Up, it gives me an IP address of 192.168.1.253, but this is not one of the choices in the Needed by Device drop down box. I tried editing the Slingbox IP address to match one of the choices in the drop down box, but that did not work.

I tried calling Buffalo. They said the ethernet converter has nothing to do with port forwarding, and there is nothing that needs to be changed on that device.

Could someone help me please?

Thanks,
b

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

Is the Slingbox set to use DHCP (Assign address automatically) or Static IP? Setting it to DHCP/Automatic should make it populate in that list.

If it's still not working, try adding a custom service and see if it will let you input the Slingbox's IP address manually. You'll want to forward port 5001.

Do not set the Slingbox to an IP address already in use by something else on your network - that will only cause more problems.

mackey
Premium Member
join:2007-08-20

mackey to billdz

Premium Member

to billdz
Change the Slingbox to "DHCP" or "Dynamic" or whatever it calls it and it should then show up in that "Needed by Device" list.

/M
billdz
Fort Lauderdale, FL

billdz

Thinkdiff and Mackey, thank you for the replies.

On the Slingbox page, I do not see anything about how to set the Slingbox to DHCP or Static IP. How do I set it to DHCP?

As far as I can determine, under Custom Services there is no way to input an IP address manually. It only has boxes for the port.

Regards,
b

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

You said you "tried editing the Slingbox IP address." Instead of putting in an IP, set it to "Automatic" (that might be on the screen before the "edit IP" screen) and reboot it. It should then show up on the list in the NVG510.

/M
billdz
Fort Lauderdale, FL

billdz

Thanks for the reply. I do not think it is possible to set it to automatic that way.

On the Slingbox setup page, I clicked Set Up Internet Viewing. It then attempts to configure and at the end says, "We could not automatically configure your router. We recommend you manual configure your router under Internet Viewing Advanced Settings." After clicking on Advanced Settings, it says:

"If your router isn't listed in our step-by-step guide, you'll need to set up Port Forwarding on your own. Please see your router owners manual if you don't know how to do this. Below are the Slingbox network settings to enter into your router. When you're done, click Test."

It then lists the settings for IP address, subnet mask, default gateway, and port. Under these is an Edit button. When I click on Edit, I can change the numbers. However, if I type in Automatic or DHCP or any other letters, it says "Automatic is not a valid IP address."

Am I SOL, or is there anything else I can try?

Regards,
b

mackey
Premium Member

mackey

Premium Member

Ok,

1) Log into the NVG510 and go to the "Home Network" tab. Look for 2 lines that say "DHCPv4 Start Address" and "DHCPv4 End Address"

2) Pick a number just OUTSIDE that range. I.e. if "DHCPv4 Start Address" is 192.168.1.50 and "DHCPv4 End Address" is 192.168.1.100, pick a number either 2-49 or 101-253. For the rest of this example I'm going to assume you picked "2"

3) Set the IP on the Slingbox to the one you just picked; i.e. 192.168.1.2

4) Once the Slingbox reboots/accepts the change, reboot the NVG510.

5) As it boots up, the NVG510 should scan the entire network and the Slingbox should appear in the "Needed by Device" drop-down list.

If THAT doesn't work, then I'm out of ideas

/M