spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

glugalug

@verizon.net
reply to icemannyr1

Re: [HD] Maybe this means more HD will follow...

said by icemannyr1:

If they kept channels delivered in MPEG4 as MPEG4 they could they put 3 in 1 QAM space?

If the kept the channels delivered in h.264/mpeg4 as h.264 they could put 4-5 in one QAM space at the typical satellite mpeg4 bitrates, or 10-20 HD in one QAM space at the maximum viable quality for MPEG-2, depending on how much action that channel has reducing mpeg-2 effectiveness. Yes, I am completely serious with that 10-20 number. The MPEG-2 standard used in North America is that bad.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:4

1 edit
said by glugalug :

said by icemannyr1:

If they kept channels delivered in MPEG4 as MPEG4 they could they put 3 in 1 QAM space?

If the kept the channels delivered in h.264/mpeg4 as h.264 they could put 4-5 in one QAM space at the typical satellite mpeg4 bitrates, or 10-20 HD in one QAM space at the maximum viable quality for MPEG-2, depending on how much action that channel has reducing mpeg-2 effectiveness. Yes, I am completely serious with that 10-20 number. The MPEG-2 standard used in North America is that bad.

you butchered your own post there is no way you could fit 20 HD channels to a single QAM not enough bandwidth you would need 4 QAMs to carry that many HD channels in MPEG4. I think you meant to Say SD channels. They already can get 16 SD channels on QAM right now there is no point in going MPEG4 for SD 12 max is the preferred limit but you can get in 14 or 15 at one time when my TWC system was 750MHz before it got retrofitted to 860MHz we had a QAM with 14 SD channels at QAM256 and it did not look too bad but then again this was around 2006-2007 when HDTV's weren't as common as they are today and I didn't own one. I know that TWC grooms my local access QAM to fit 15 channels for their Dallas City proper lineup my local access QAM only has 9 channels on it total. I know that 2 of the channels on 15 (129MHz) there are for security cameras in buildings and also 2 channels on that QAM are designated for the EAS channel one for legacy boxes and one for tru2way boxes so they have 4 channels on that QAM that don't take up too much bits so they can get away with a QAM that has 15 channels on it.

tennisman94

join:2010-02-18
Palm Harbor, FL
kudos:2
said by motorola870:

.... They already can get 16 SD channels on QAM right now there is no point in going MPEG4 for SD 12 max is the preferred limit but you can get in 14 or 15 at one time when my TWC system was 750MHz before it got retrofitted to 860MHz we had a QAM with 14 SD channels at QAM256 and it did not look too bad but then again this was around 2006-2007 when HDTV's weren't as common as they are today and I didn't own one. I know that TWC grooms my local access QAM to fit 15 channels for their Dallas City proper lineup my local access QAM only has 9 channels on it total. I know that 2 of the channels on 15 (129MHz) there are for security cameras in buildings and also 2 channels on that QAM are designated for the EAS channel one for legacy boxes and one for tru2way boxes so they have 4 channels on that QAM that don't take up too much bits so they can get away with a QAM that has 15 channels on it.

Dude, punctuation man.

here:
They already can get 16 SD channels on QAM right now, so there is no point in going MPEG4. For SD, 12 is the preferred limit but you can get in 14 or 15 at one time. When my TWC system was 750MHz (before it got retrofitted to 860MHz) we had a QAM with 14 SD channels at QAM256, and it did not look too bad, but then again this was around 2006-2007 when HDTV's weren't as common as they are today and I didn't own one. I know that TWC grooms my local access QAM to fit 15 channels for their Dallas City proper lineup; my local access QAM only has 9 channels on it total. I know that 2 of the channels on 15 (129MHz) there are for security cameras in buildings and also 2 channels on that QAM are designated for the EAS channel, one for legacy boxes and one for tru2way boxes, so they have 4 channels on that QAM that don't take up too many bits so they can get away with a QAM that has 15 channels on it.