spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

NytOwl

join:2012-09-27
canada

[Cable] Reason for no Static IP Availability for Cable Internet?

Hello everyone,

I've learned through various posts in this forum that it's not possible to subscribe to receive a Static IP if you're on Cable.

What I wonder, however, is the reason for this.

Does Rogers not permit it for TPIA customers on their network, or is there some other reason?

Thank you!

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON

Re: [Cable] Reason for no Static IP Availability for Cable Inter

said by NytOwl:

Does Rogers not permit it for TPIA customers on their network, or is there some other reason?

Rogers only offers static IPs for their business customers and it costs quite a bit. Due to the way in which static IPs are provisioned in their network it does not scale at all so they do not want to have this in use by their non-business customers or TPIA providers. They provide a Cisco router, although the vendor of the router doesn't really matter, and use RIP with a specific key.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to NytOwl
You can pretty much get a static IP for free though....It is not 100% fool proof, but generate a new MAC address for your router, and reset it and power down the modem for 5 minutes.

Plug it back in, and you should have a new IP. As long as your modem/router don't reset, you will keep that IP. This is unless Rogers hard resets you/does maintaince in your area for a long period of time but using this method, I've been able to have the same IP for 2-3 years. Even if either DC, you still might get that IP back as well if it hasn't been assigned to someone else.
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Etobicoke, ON
said by d4m1r:

You can pretty much get a static IP for free though....It is not 100% fool proof, but generate a new MAC address for your router, and reset it and power down the modem for 5 minutes.

That's not even close to being a static IP or "pretty much" static IP.

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
Reviews:
·Start Communicat..
reply to NytOwl
What's a static IP? Having the same IP for a long period of time/forever (theoretically).

What does my method achieve? The same IP for 2-3+ years if not longer (I switched from Rogers to TSI when I finally lost it). I'll leave it to the OP to decide
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

Etobicoke, ON

1 edit
said by d4m1r:

What's a static IP? Having the same IP for a long period of time/forever (theoretically).

What does my method achieve? The same IP for 2-3+ years if not longer (I switched from Rogers to TSI when I finally lost it). I'll leave it to the OP to decide

I would say an IP that does not change in any unplanned manner and does not change because of some network related event(s) or replacement of equipment. With cable and DHCP that is likely to happen.

No, your "method" is a gamble at best. It will not guarantee you have the same IP for any particular period of time. With TSI you're a lot less likely to have the same IP for any extended period of time at all. I've been with TSI and through a variety of events I've had at least 5 IP address changes in 3 years. .e.g. node splitting, upstream/downstream channel bonding being enabled, cable network outages, router malfunction incident, etc.

Gimli
Premium
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4
reply to NytOwl
blah blah blah
buy router with DNS service update ability and sign up for free host/ redirect with dyndns or noip.

blamo - never failing DNS name pointing to your IP - whatever it may be or change to.

Etobicoke, ON
said by Gimli:

blah blah blah
buy router with DNS service update ability and sign up for free host/ redirect with dyndns or noip.

blamo - never failing DNS name pointing to your IP - whatever it may be or change to.

that's not the same thing.

Gimli
Premium
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4
said by 34764170:

said by Gimli:

blah blah blah

that's not the same thing.

Pray tell then, what exactly you are doing that dynamic DNS wont let you do.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
join:2001-11-05
Montreal, QC
kudos:23
reply to NytOwl
You can't effectively run a mail server on a dynamic IP, as many (most?) RBLs list dynamic IP ranges. For uptime-critical stuff, even the TTL on dynamic DNS services is too high, although if something is that critical it shouldn't be hosted on a broadband line, business or otherwise.
--
Developer: Tomato/MLPPP, Linux/MLPPP, etc »fixppp.org

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to NytOwl
You guys consistently misuse the term "Static IP". It drives me bonkers.

If anything its a "reserved IP" that's obtained via DHCP. That's all that DSL does as well is that your username is associated with an IP....

Just my rant for the day, also for cable, based on the administration...forget about having a reserved IP address...it'd just be too much admin work when all they do is assign blocks of IPs in the Scopes that are required for each segment...

Anywho, rant off...carry on.

Grump

join:2012-11-07
London, ON
Your misinformation is driving me bonkers. Who says a static has to be obtained via DHCP? Most static IP deployments are manually specified on the WAN interface because a DHCP server going down is a failure point. Also, DSL is typically PPPoE, which doesn't use DHCP for static IP assignments. It's usually done with Framed-IP-Address via radius.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to NytOwl
IPCP is normally used to assign the IP address over PPPoE. There's no difference between a static and dynamic IP to the customer; it simply either always assigns the same IP, or it doesn't. Either case happens identically.
--

join:2012-12-24
reply to Guspaz
said by Guspaz:

You can't effectively run a mail server on a dynamic IP, as many (most?) RBLs list dynamic IP ranges. For uptime-critical stuff, even the TTL on dynamic DNS services is too high, although if something is that critical it shouldn't be hosted on a broadband line, business or otherwise.

This is incorrect. I have ran a mail server for 10 years on a non-static IP without issues.

UnixMan

join:2012-10-14
quote:
This is incorrect. I have ran a mail server for 10 years on a non-static IP without issues.
That was correct. And this is why

said by UnixMan:

quote:

Post all the links you want. The fact that it is running means it works.

reply to UnixMan
said by UnixMan:

quote:

Sorry I don't click links. And I am running one so I know it works.

Etobicoke, ON

2 edits
reply to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

You guys consistently misuse the term "Static IP". It drives me bonkers.

If anything its a "reserved IP" that's obtained via DHCP. That's all that DSL does as well is that your username is associated with an IP....

Just my rant for the day, also for cable, based on the administration...forget about having a reserved IP address...it'd just be too much admin work when all they do is assign blocks of IPs in the Scopes that are required for each segment...

Anywho, rant off...carry on.

It's the same thing! The whole point is the IP address does not change, hence static. It is irrelevant if its hard coded in some config file/registry or if its assigned via DHCP / IPCP (PPP).

HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet

join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON
kudos:6
reply to 80289148
said by 80289148:

said by UnixMan:

quote:

Sorry I don't click links. And I am running one so I know it works.

I'll click it for you:

Why mail to and from a dynamic DNS Host does not work reliably

No matter what they tell you, mail to and from dynamic DNS Hosts does not work reliably.
At least without TLS it isn't. Here's how it works with TLS: »www.thalmann.de/postfix-dialup.h ··· lup.html

Receiving mail

Why receiving mail does not work reliably:
If you register your dynamic IP in a dynamic DNS provider like dyndns.org, your dyndns.org hostname is assigned your dynamic IP
If your machine loses the internet connectivity, then the hostname will still point to your former IP.
Now somebody else gets your former IP:
The computer has nothing listening on port 25:
No problem!
The computer has a properly setup MTA on port 25:
Your mail will be bounced! This is bad.
The computer has an open relay MTA on port 25:
Your mail will be relayed by this machine.
The computer has a blackhole MTA.
Your mail will be lost! This is bad.
Sending mail

Why sending mail does not work reliably:
Nowadays, many providers don't accept mail from dynamically assigned IP pools (like your dialup / DSL IP range). This means you must use the relayhost of your ISP.
--
MNSi Internet - »www.mnsi.net

Inssomniak
The Glitch
Premium
join:2005-04-06
Cayuga, ON
kudos:2
^^ Everything HeadSpinning said..

Etobicoke, ON
reply to NytOwl
More than enough mail servers whether it is an ISPs mail server, hosted mail, a businesses e-mail server, etc. do use RBLs and do use the RBLs including dynamic address blocks to either block the SMTP session at the start of the session or will use the IP when it is part of a dynamic block to make a decision during spam scanning to filter the e-mail right into the spam box so most users won't even see the e-mail.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to NytOwl
Besides there are other applications other than mail servers where a static IP address would be desirable if not required.

PlatooN

join:2007-02-13
Kitchener, ON
reply to NytOwl
Not to mention many mail servers will use an rDNS lookup as a means of spam filtering.

I don't care what method of quazistatic IP you are using, it won't have proper rDNS in place.

NytOwl

canada
reply to NytOwl
This has gotten out of hand.

The premise of this thread is simple. All I asked for is an official reason as to why TSI does not provide a Static IP option for its Cable Internet subscribers.

I would like a TSI staff member to answer this.

All the heated replies debating the merits of a true Static IP vs. utilizing Dynamic DNS with a Dynamic IP does not address my question.

If you want that debate to continue, please respectfully start a new thread.

Thank you.

Etobicoke, ON
said by NytOwl:

The premise of this thread is simple. All I asked for is an official reason as to why TSI does not provide a Static IP option for its Cable Internet subscribers.

The second sentence of my post answered your question.

nitzguy
Premium
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON
reply to NytOwl
said by NytOwl:

This has gotten out of hand.

I would like a TSI staff member to answer this.

All the heated replies debating the merits of a true Static IP vs. utilizing Dynamic DNS with a Dynamic IP does not address my question.

If you want that debate to continue, please respectfully start a new thread.

Thank you.

Ok, seems as though my rant was a bit off track, and thank you for setting me straight.

In regards to your question, this has been discussed ad nauseum since the introduction of cable, long story short, its not going to happen and has been weighed in by TSI....so as some people would say UTFSE....but basically we're just trying to save you some trouble here....

NytOwl

canada
reply to NytOwl
brad,

Yes, I did read your first reply, but I kept this going in hopes of getting something more official.

nitzguy,

Okay. It's unfortunate, but I guess that's what we're stuck with for the time being.

Thank you.

ForSaken

join:2009-07-15
Essex, ON
reply to NytOwl
everything HeadSpinning said.. and.. I think if people were to look up 'DUL LISTING' They might get it, and if they dont.. they have no business running a mail server

Etobicoke, ON
reply to NytOwl
said by NytOwl:

Yes, I did read your first reply, but I kept this going in hopes of getting something more official.

The issue was taken up with the CRTC and with the way that Rogers provisions the IP addresses within their network it would have caused serious scalability issues even if they were willing to even consider allowing TPIAs to offer statics plus they wouldn't have wanted to provide the RIP key to users so they would probably insist on using a pre-configured router from Rogers. I can see that being an issue with TPIA users as well. So for how much TPIA users do want statics the issue was too much of a pain to be able to realistically offer the feature.

Guspaz
Guspaz
Premium,MVM
Montreal, QC
reply to NytOwl
Note that you can get yourself a static IP today by using a VPN service, but there are obviously downsides to this approach.
--