IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

[request] DSLR Mobile App

I would like to see DSLR develop an iPhone and iPad app for easier access to the site on smartphones or tablets. I am currently unable to load photos (attachments) onto DSLR from a mobile device or from my iPad. Or an easier solution would be to have a version that is optimized for smartphones or tablets. I do access DSLR quite a bit from my iPhone and iPad.

An Android app (for Android users) would be helpful as well. If cost is a consideration, I would be willing to pay a small fee through the iTunes App Store for the App.

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

Re: DSLR Mobile App

said by IowaCowboy:

I am currently unable to load photos (attachments) onto DSLR from a mobile device or from my iPad.

While I don't disagree that a mobile app would be nice, you can in fact upload images to the site both from the iPhone and iPad with the latest iOS release. For reference: »Mobile picture uploads

(You may have to hit back and preview again when the screen goes blank, but it does work)

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium Member
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

***SIGN***

look at the G+ app. Make it better.

Anav
Sarcastic Llama? Naw, Just Acerbic
Premium Member
join:2001-07-16
Dartmouth, NS

Anav to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
CONCUR, was just looking to post same same. Gotta new samsung galaxy S3 and was going to see if there was a DSLR app for optimal viewing on my smartphone.

So I reiterate YES excellent idea, sign whatever goes, the real question is why wasnt this done yesterday.

Fir_Na_Tine
Time to get riggity riggity wrecked son
Premium Member
join:2001-01-03
South Jersey

1 recommendation

Fir_Na_Tine to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
*sign* DSLR is a tech site and should be up to date so users can access it from tablets and smart phones better. Taoatalk would good even. Or I am sure users would gladly pay .99c for s decent app.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
NanoParticle

1 recommendation

signmeuptoo94 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I want to see an app also, but the site goes down so much, I'd first want better resources go into keeping the site up, safe, and stable first. Losing the site is quite worrisome. This place is bigger than even the owners to people, no offense to anyone.

If they can outsource app development, fine.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

1 recommendation

AVD to Fir_Na_Tine

Premium Member

to Fir_Na_Tine
instead of tapatalk, a modified RSS reader will be fine.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

1 recommendation

La Luna to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Would love to see a nice app for Android. Using a phone browser is so clunky when trying to maneuver around the site.

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

1 recommendation

Vchat20

Premium Member

said by La Luna:

Would love to see a nice app for Android. Using a phone browser is so clunky when trying to maneuver around the site.

Have to agree with this. It is completely doable but it is really clunky. Would be cool to see something native. Even so much as a mobile site layout just for those devices.

*Sign*

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA

aefstoggaflm to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
While i don't use Mobile Internet, * Sign *

XPAMD
Premium Member
join:2002-06-08
united state

XPAMD to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
*Sign* I agree, I dont' think Tapatalk would work here anyway as this site and forums were built from the ground up. Proprietary Software!

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
Sign -- site is difficult at times using iOS

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

1 recommendation

PoloDude to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
*Sign* Even though the mobile site does work, the functionality is limited.

Cthen
Premium Member
join:2004-08-01
Detroit, MI

1 recommendation

Cthen to La Luna

Premium Member

to La Luna
said by La Luna:

I can get around fine with the Android browser but would love to see the preview bubble gone when surfing DSLR on mobile when browsing the forums. All you have to do is tap a link on a thread and that damn bubble just stays there in the way of other thread links where they can't be tapped and it doesn't go away.

Come to think of it, that bubble is a pain in the ass period even on a desktop.

*Sign*

state
stress magnet
Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory

state

Mod

You can disable the topic preview bubble on your preferences page: »/prefs/forum
dbqjoe
join:2013-04-07
Dubuque, IA

1 recommendation

dbqjoe to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
Using this site on a desktop is a pita, let alone on my GS3 or Nexus 7. DSLReports.com badly needs an android app asap. Heck, it needs vbulletin or phpbb instead of whatever forum software it currently use. So out of date and unfriendly to use.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94 to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
I just want to say it again: The health of the site, keeping it online, is more critical than some mobile app. I want a mobile app also, but Justin and company need to make it so the site stops going down all the time, first. Choose your battles...

Vchat20
Landing is the REAL challenge
Premium Member
join:2003-09-16
Columbus, OH

Vchat20

Premium Member

Goes down all the time? Granted the times the site does go down, they all seem to be catastrophic failures of some sort, but during my membership here I have only known it to go down twice. To be totally honest, stability is not an issue. Each downtime of DSLR has been something outside of Justin's control.

As already said: It could be something as simple as offering a mobile theme that is more smartphone friendly. Wouldn't take too much effort to accomplish.

signmeuptoo94
Bless you Howie
Premium Member
NanoParticle

signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

In the last month there have been a few minutes where I couldn't get on, twice. Yes, it is much more frequent than that. Major long time outages have only happened a few times, but there have been enough other times to make it worrisome. Worrisome enough that if I were an investor, I'd be quite nervous.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

I just want to say it again: The health of the site, keeping it online, is more critical than some mobile app. I want a mobile app also, but Justin and company need to make it so the site stops going down all the time, first. Choose your battles...

Getting fresh blood and keeping the members here contributing is as important to the "health of the site" much ore than some backroom technical issues.

La Luna
Fly With The Angels My Beloved Son Chris
Premium Member
join:2001-07-12
New Port Richey, FL

La Luna to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

In the last month there have been a few minutes where I couldn't get on, twice. Yes, it is much more frequent than that. Major long time outages have only happened a few times, but there have been enough other times to make it worrisome. Worrisome enough that if I were an investor, I'd be quite nervous.

That sounds like specific issues on your end. I haven't had any trouble getting to the site since the last *BIG* outage.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium Member
join:2006-10-19
USA

DrModem

Premium Member

sign sign sign. +1 for android

One word: notifications.
DrModem

DrModem to signmeuptoo94

Premium Member

to signmeuptoo94
said by signmeuptoo94:

I haven't seen the site go down since the last armageddon crash. ANd definitly not in the last month.

AVD
Premium Member
Onion, NJ

AVD

Premium Member

You can use email notifications, and convert them into android notifications either using gmail labels or a discrete address.

It shouldn't be too hard to scan write an app to alert when three are changes to the post list.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to IowaCowboy

Premium Member

to IowaCowboy
*sign*

IowaMan
Premium Member
join:2008-08-21
Grinnell, IA

IowaMan

Premium Member

Yes one for iOS and Android please

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin to IowaCowboy

Mod

to IowaCowboy
My intention is to move the templates and CSS towards naturally mobile friendly, I hope you can already see some progress in that area, the forums and topic layouts are by default more readable. Attached images are by default resized smaller, etc.

Was there a specific example of an App that would allow something mobile friendly pages can't ever allow?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by justin:

the forums and topic layouts are by default more readable.

Not readable enough, in my opinion. On an iPhone 5, the fonts are still way too small and four columns is too much (unread status/icon, topic title, replies, last post). What's really needed on a mobile display? Topic title and a very simple indicator of any unread replies, max; large fonts so I don't have to pinch and zoom.

For the Favorites Forum view, you could probably (if possible) remove the higher level subject heading (those aren't really useful unless your adding/removing/re-arranging forums and even then, are more use for finding topics to add, not for day-to-day use for reading the forums themselves) or move them to the top of the page for reference/navigation.

See this as a great starting point for mobile-friendly view of forums:

»www.dpreview.com/news/20 ··· m-access, in particular these screens:

»3.static.img-dpreview.co ··· g?v=2380

»3.static.img-dpreview.co ··· g?v=2380

On the latter, notice: read/unread is simple/small, the use of color to draw specific elements of the thread info, the use of two lines to make room for a large enough font for the title, smaller fonts for everything else; single column.

P.S. I think people call for an app because that was something concrete to grab onto and reflects their knowledge of non-custom forum software where an app can easily work for all forums using said software. A well-designed mobile/responsive web design will of course work just as well if not better.

justin
..needs sleep
Mod
join:1999-05-28
Billion BiPAC 7800N
Apple AirPort Extreme (2011)

justin

Mod

I said "more" readable, not "complete". It will be gradual. I'm just pointing out there have been quite a few recent changes from the default, which wasn't much different than the full site at all.

As it stands in landscape mode, I find both topics and forums to be usable and readable without zoom (they were not before). For instance the viewport initial-scale is up to 0.90, moving it to 1.0 is within reach.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

I can only hope you're aiming for the excellent examples I provided.