share rss forum feed

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1
reply to tmc8080

Re: The Decline of Cablevision Outside Plant Techs

said by tmc8080:

Around here.. there were all sorts of telco & cableco lines dangling down that were not part of active service or were, but have since been replaced.. yeah Brooklyn is a bit of a mess after Sandy.. still, if the rules for scrap & salvage were lifted, people would take the scrap metal & waste cables off the ground and sell them for the copper-- not that these bundles would net you much.. you probably could scrounge a few thrown about plastic deposit bottles and net even more money than that, lol.

If a year goes by and they (telco & cableco) don't clean it up.. the city could end up doing the work for them and bill them respectively.. that's what happens with other Quality of Life eyesores..

I will say this.. the 3rd party techs generally want to do the quickest job they can get away with as if they're paid by the job and not the hour so the quicker they get done, the more they can make. When I had an install apt. I was left to the last time slot, and then the guy didn't want to climb the pole to re-wire a cable because it was NIGHT TIME and the job would've taken too long.. granted, I thought the cable was already laid.. as it is in most bldgs. but the line was dead. Also, they charged me for install, and I live nearby one of the depots.. the nerve!

About 50% of the cables that were dangling in my area are now gone.. maybe by June they'll get around to the other 50%..

Maybe it was somebody looking for scrap that cut the cables. The OP never stated it was an IO branded truck.

Outside plant has the branded bucket trucks. Ones that cannot be mistaken for contractors.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
That is why I questioned whether it was OSP.

said by jsoto :

if the tech went as far as getting up on a ladder to cut the wire hanging down

No offense to OSP, but never seen those guys go up a ladder.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to majortom1029
In NYC, 3rd party contracters do 90% of the install work and at least 80% outside plant work that does not require lots of skill & training.. maybe it's less in suburbs where they can't send just anybody into suburban houses or certain neighborhoods.

I see a ratio of about 10:1 contractor vehicles to branded vehicles not just around the depot, but all over brooklyn & queens where cablevision has network plant.

If you see this video, which company reminds you of Cablevision, which one reminds you of Verizon?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVDGmjz7eM

tmc8080

join:2004-04-24
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·ooma
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS
reply to majortom1029
In NYC, 3rd party contracters do 90% of the install work and at least 80% outside plant work that does not require lots of skill & training.. maybe it's less in suburbs where they can't send just anybody into suburban houses or certain neighborhoods.

I see a ratio of about 10:1 contractor vehicles to branded vehicles not just around the depot, but all over brooklyn & queens where cablevision has network plant.

If you see this video, which company reminds you of Cablevision, which one reminds you of Verizon? Hint, it's s trick question

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=YlVDGmjz7eM

root

join:2002-12-11

1 recommendation

reply to tmc8080
said by tmc8080:

And you got this info where? Or you are just throwing numbers out that you thought of in your head? Can you provide a source please?

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Although the numbers are obviously completely made up without basis in actual setup, I think it also comes with a lack of understanding on what group the random people that he sees working are with. I'd guess that the bulk of the "OSP" techs seen are field service techs, and some may also be construction techs too. I'd be impressed if an onlooker could tell the percentage of OSP techs they see, never mind extrapolate the percentage of contractors in any given department for the area or outside areas.

majortom1029

join:2006-10-19
Lindenhurst, NY
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to jaa
said by jaa:

That is why I questioned whether it was OSP.

said by jsoto :

if the tech went as far as getting up on a ladder to cut the wire hanging down

No offense to OSP, but never seen those guys go up a ladder.

All the OSP guys I have ever seen and talked to use bucket trucks