Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

TheHox

join:2012-05-31
reply to TheHox

Re: 6.6mile PTP link - hardware?

Click for full size
So I finally got around to setting this link up.

At the moment when scanning for the AP, it only shows up half the time, and when it does, signal strength is -90.

How critical is aiming on these? I have 2 NanoBridge M5s with 25dbi dishes on both ends.

Tomorrow I'll re check the horizontal alignment. I've been using Google Earth printouts of the path, using physical landmarks for reference, but I'm not sure how to calculate this vertical alignment.
Anyone?

TomS_
Git-r-done
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-19
London, UK
kudos:5
According to the datasheet the beams on the M2 and M5 are somewhat narrow (maybe 10 degrees? it doesnt say explicitly), so good alignment is somewhat critical to get the best performance from the link.

Ideally you'd have people at both ends panning (one at a time of course) simply to save you having to drive back and forth between sites.

Move side to side until you find the sweet spot at one end, then do the same at the other end.

Then up and down at one end until you hit the sweet spot, then the same at the other end.

By the end of that your link is as good as it will probably ever be.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
said by TomS_:

According to the datasheet the beams on the M2 and M5 are somewhat narrow (maybe 10 degrees? it doesnt say explicitly), so good alignment is somewhat critical to get the best performance from the link.

This. ^

The beamwidth is narrow...half-assing the alignment will result in poor performance.

TheHox

join:2012-05-31
The alignment is currently half-assed at best. I'll be playing with it more today.

Funny thing is I can pick up other APs in the -80s all the time, that are not even aiming at me, but I can't see the AP that I do have aiming to my station side half the time at all.

John Galt
Forward, March
Premium
join:2004-09-30
Happy Camp
kudos:8
You might be in a deep null.

DaDawgs
Premium
join:2010-08-02
Deltaville, VA
reply to John Galt
said by John Galt:

said by TomS_:

This. ^

The beamwidth is narrow...half-assing the alignment will result in poor performance.

Aye and if memory serves Ubi was specifying beamwidths at the 6 dB power point. That 25 dBi solid has a 3 dB beam width of about 7 degrees sooo +/- 4 is going to be the zone.
--
Once we IPv6 enable every device on the Internet we will have toasters, baby monitors, and security cameras joining the bot nets which today are populated only by idiots that can not refrain from clicking, "Yes I would like to see those titties..."