Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09
kudos:1
reply to tao

Re: [Rant] Winter Storm Euclid...

Related: Any particular reason why "Hurricane Sandy" keeps getting referred to as "Super Storm Sandy?"

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2

said by Oedipus:

Related: Any particular reason why "Hurricane Sandy" keeps getting referred to as "Super Storm Sandy?"

It was a super storm?

Tao: They (the weather channel) decided to name winter storms similarly to how they name non-winter storms to raise awareness.

»www.weather.com/news/why-we-name···20121001

I guess I don't see a problem with it.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Oedipus

said by Oedipus:

Because it became non-tropical and thus was no longer a hurricane before it made landfall. The distinction is important for people filing storm-related insurance claims.

However, NHC/NWS f'ed up by not issuing hurricane warnings for New Jersey, as hurricane force winds were recorded in NJ while the storm was still classified as a hurricane. The lack of hurricane warnings caused some people to underestimate the storm's strength.

Anonymark
Premium
join:2009-11-11
Wilmington, DE
reply to psafux

said by psafux:

said by Oedipus:

It was a super storm?

Tao: They (the weather channel) decided to name winter storms similarly to how they name non-winter storms to raise awareness.

I just wish they would give the storms names like:

"Snowpocolypse Deux"
"Thor's Hammer of snow"
"DeathSnow IV"
"Snowmagedden VII the end of clear streets"

That would raise awareness even more.

Oedipus

join:2005-05-09

said by Anonymark:

said by psafux:

said by Oedipus:

It was a super storm?

I just wish they would give the storms names like:

"Snowpocolypse Deux"
"Thor's Hammer of snow"
"DeathSnow IV"
"Snowmagedden VII the end of clear streets"

That would raise awareness even more.

I also like "Class III Killstorm"

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

said by Oedipus:

Because it became non-tropical and thus was no longer a hurricane before it made landfall. The distinction is important for people filing storm-related insurance claims.

Nope. Hurricanes (tropical cyclones) remain hurricanes (tropical cyclones) as long as the originated in the tropical oceans and maintain there hurricane like qualities.

Hurricanes are solely named because of where they originate.

Back in 1996, a 'cyclone' developed over Lake Huron (between Michigan and Ontario), however, despite having tropical storm like properties, it could not be called a hurricane (if it got to that strength) or tropical storm because it didn't originate in the tropics.

The referred to this storm as "Hurricane Huron" but it was more or less a thingamabobbercane.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

said by J E F F:

said by Bob4:

said by Oedipus:

Nope. Hurricanes (tropical cyclones) remain hurricanes (tropical cyclones) as long as the originated in the tropical oceans and maintain there hurricane like qualities.

Wrong. Sandy became "extratropical" before landfall. It was no longer a hurricane.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..

I see your point regarding that Sandy might have been extratropical when it hit New York. But hurricanes remain hurricanes regardless where there are after forming as long as they have sustained hurricane force winds. Now I feel like a meteorological nerd. Thanks.
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

Click for full size
No watches/warnings for NJ or NY
The big problem is that the NHC never issued any tropical storm or hurricane watches/warnings for Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, New Jersey, or New York, even though NJ/NY experienced hurricane force winds. Because of this technical difference between tropical and extratropical systems, some people underestimated the strength of the storm.

The bonus is that insurance companies aren't allowed to activate the higher hurricane deductibles.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to J E F F

And here you go. The storm was still over the ocean with winds well over hurricane-force, but was no longer a hurricane:

quote:
POST-TROPICAL CYCLONE SANDY TROPICAL CYCLONE UPDATE
NWS NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL182012
700 PM EDT MON OCT 29 2012

...SANDY BECOMES POST-TROPICAL...
...CENTER EXPECTED TO MAKE LANDFALL WITHIN THE NEXT HOUR OR SO...

SUMMARY OF 700 PM EDT...2300 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...39.1N 74.4W
ABOUT 30 MI...50 KM ENE OF CAPE MAY NEW JERSEY
ABOUT 20 MI...35 KM S OF ATLANTIC CITY NEW JERSEY
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...85 MPH...140 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...WNW OR 300 DEGREES AT 28 MPH...44 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...946 MB...27.93 INCHES

AS INDICATED IN THE 5 PM DISCUSSION...SATELLITE...RADAR...AND
AIRCRAFT DATA INDICATE THAT SANDY HAS CONTINUED TO LOSE TROPICAL
CHARACTERISTICS. NHC IS NOW DESIGNATING SANDY AS A POST-TROPICAL
CYCLONE. IN ADDITION...THE MAXIMUM WINDS HAVE DECREASED SLIGHTLY
AND ARE NOW NEAR 85 MPH...140 KM/H.

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Bob4

said by Bob4:

The bonus is that insurance companies aren't allowed to activate the higher hurricane deductibles.

I heard something about that....people have to be careful how they run their insurance, to have: "incl. all perils"
--

J E F F
Premium
Kitchener, ON
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to Bob4

AHA!

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurricane_Juan

Only Atlantic Canada....

This conversation really needs to be in the pub or cooler...LOL.
--

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
reply to J E F F

said by J E F F:

said by Bob4:

said by Oedipus:

no they become post-tropical

storms that originate outside of the triopics are classified "extra-tropical"
--
* seek help if having trouble coping
--Standard disclaimers apply.--