join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

1 edit
reply to Robotics

Re: Can No Longer Read DVD/CD's

robot, I think I found your answer

»www.tapeonline.com/articles/usin···cds-dvds
quote:
Various postings are surfacing across the internet from professionals and hobbyists alike, reporting that over time permanent ink has made their properly stored discs unusable. There is no apparent reason for the corruption other than the ink used to label the disc.
»www.weeklytips.com/archive/compu···ers.html

quote:
Many people use markers to write on the surface of their CDs and DVDs when labeling their media. What most people do not know is that using markers, such as Sharpies, ballpoint pens, or any other sharp object can be very damaging to the media.
Most markers contain chemicals that create
oxidation, which can deteriorate the CD or DVD. The oxidation can ruin the aluminum, which covers the surface of the media and ultimately can destroy the data on the disc.

Robotics
See You On The Dark Side
Premium
join:2003-10-23
Louisa, VA

1 recommendation

said by FizzyMyNizzy:

robot, I think I found your answer

Interesting read. Wouldn't you know it, I did use Sharpies to label them.

Well....live and learn...damn

(thanks for posting this)

--
Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you'll give and tears you'll cry,
and all you touch and all you see, is all your life will ever be.

psafux
Premium,VIP
join:2005-11-10
kudos:2
It's worthwhile to note that scratching the *top* of the disc is actually far more likely to render a disc unreadable/unusable than scratching the bottom is.

The same idea applies to the markers. Light scribe has fared better so far since it utilizes a special layer independently of the burn layer which is, of course, isolated. Light scribe hasn't been around long enough to stand the test of time but a consumer CD that still works after 10 years is really pushing it in my opinion.

Bottom line - no media should be a sole backup solution. Ever.