Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
join:2002-12-03
United State

linicx to kdwycha

Premium Member

to kdwycha

Re: Someone has to pay for AMC

I remember when I had the Big Dish. Bundles or ala carte was offered. ESPN was $2, CNN $1. I took a bundle plus all HBO channels for $25/mo. The OTA channels included news from Germany, music from the Caribbean and Canadian TV. If Dish did this they would make a ton of money. I would much rather pay for what I watch rather than for shorter view time and piggy back infomercials. I'll probably drop it rather than considereing expanding it.
amungus
Premium Member
join:2004-11-26
America

amungus

Premium Member

Believe it or not, Charlie (CEO of Dish/Echostar) got his start selling big dishes "back in the day."

Even with all the "choice" on Dish, they can only un-bundle some things. They would absolutely offer more choice if they could.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I don't see anything unbundled I want. The offer some odd bundles with channels like RFD, but not much else. Plus they shuffle channels too much. Most of the stuff I like is in the Top Tier; it is not worth it! Dish and Direct TV are both pricing themselves out of business.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to linicx

Premium Member

to linicx
said by linicx:

I remember when I had the Big Dish. Bundles or ala carte was offered. ESPN was $2, CNN $1. I took a bundle plus all HBO channels for $25/mo. The OTA channels included news from Germany, music from the Caribbean and Canadian TV. If Dish did this they would make a ton of money. I would much rather pay for what I watch rather than for shorter view time and piggy back infomercials. I'll probably drop it rather than considering expanding it.

Much of the limited stuff dish/any provider offers is because of deals with content providers and the government.
I recall from when I first joined Dish, you could select what network feeds you wanted. East, central, or west coat. We'd go east and west. That way we could VCR shows that had time conflicts in one region.
Then the local affiliates complained, as well as local businesses, that they were being cut out of loop. Because At the time, Dish only carried the "Network feeds, and not the local stations.
So Dish had to kill the regional feeds, and went to local feeds. So the local affiliates wouldn't miss out on advertising dollars, and local businesses could market to the local viewers.

I remember going to my in-laws house. He had a big satellite dish. It was interesting to watch different stations from all over the world. I was surprised to see how prudish American TV actually is, when compared to Italian, French, or Japanese programing. And we are supposed to be "Land of the free"

I would love to have a system like that, but on a mini-dish. But then that is where the internet comes in.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

1 edit

elray to linicx

to linicx
said by linicx:

I don't see anything unbundled I want. The offer some odd bundles with channels like RFD, but not much else. Plus they shuffle channels too much. Most of the stuff I like is in the Top Tier; it is not worth it! Dish and Direct TV are both pricing themselves out of business.

They are not pricing themselves out of business.

Much as I, too, dislike their bundling, tiers, and channel migration, the average satellite bill totals less than a family dinner at your local steakhouse.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

That depends upon a lot of things. I no longer have a family to take to a steakhouse or anywhere else. At this point in my life I don't have the $150 to blow off for 250 channels I am not likely to watch or listen.

I don't know what the answer is.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by linicx:

That depends upon a lot of things. I no longer have a family to take to a steakhouse or anywhere else. At this point in my life I don't have the $150 to blow off for 250 channels I am not likely to watch or listen.

I don't know what the answer is.

The average satellite bill is nowhere near $150.

I understand if you feel you lack funds for either. You are in good company!

My point was that satellite is the cheaper of the two, and it benefits you for the entire month, while the steakhouse satisfies for only the evening.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to linicx

MVM

to linicx
said by linicx:

I remember when I had the Big Dish. Bundles or ala carte was offered. ESPN was $2, CNN $1. I took a bundle plus all HBO channels for $25/mo.

And gas was $.25 a gallon, a loaf a bread was $.05, you walked to school barefoot, in the snow, uphill both directions and you liked it.

Comparing BUD programming prices from yesteryear to today's prices is comparing apples to oranges.
cdru

cdru to Snakeoil

MVM

to Snakeoil
said by Snakeoil:

I remember going to my in-laws house. He had a big satellite dish. It was interesting to watch different stations from all over the world. I was surprised to see how prudish American TV actually is, when compared to Italian, French, or Japanese programing. And we are supposed to be "Land of the free"

Land of the free, but also founded by religious prudes.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to Snakeoil

Premium Member

to Snakeoil
I don't know what Japanese programming you are seeing, but major network programming (NHK, Fuji, TVA, etc) is extraordinarily prudish.
skeechan

skeechan to cdru

Premium Member

to cdru
Yes but the school was on a dock and started at high tide and ended at low tide.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx to elray

Premium Member

to elray
The steak is probably satisfying for 4 hours.. but at least with a steakhouse there is more than one choices. And if you live near LA there is even more choices.

Compared to LA, where I live is a pebble in the desert. There is no competition and no real choice. Unless, of course one considers 1 local telco, 1 regional cable company, and satellite, a real choice. There is no Comcast or AT&T. Being squeezed by all three every year leaves little to desire.

Satellite is no different. The channels that most people watch are moved into more expensive tiers. Even the ad free, free channel Classic Performing Arts (opera, ballet, classic music clips, and b/w movies from the 20s-40s) is only found in top tier and only on Dish. It is hidden in the 6000 -9000 range.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray

said by linicx:

The steak is probably satisfying for 4 hours.. but at least with a steakhouse there is more than one choices. And if you live near LA there is even more choices.

Compared to LA, where I live is a pebble in the desert. There is no competition and no real choice. Unless, of course one considers 1 local telco, 1 regional cable company, and satellite, a real choice. There is no Comcast or AT&T. Being squeezed by all three every year leaves little to desire.

We live in LA, and we have fewer choices than you do.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

Wanna bet? If I want a good steak I drive 50 miles.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan

Premium Member

Feh, who needs steak when ya have IN-N-OUT?

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I have to drive 45 miles for the nearest thing to IN-N-OUT. It's called Steak n' Shake. Nothing but field corn, soybeans and two lane roads between.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray to linicx

to linicx
said by linicx:

Wanna bet? If I want a good steak I drive 50 miles.

I was referring to pay-tv.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

I am not sure what you call pay-tv. Where I live a phone and Internet, plus a separate dish, is a better deal than the cable, phone, and internet bundle. The signal is much better too.
elray
Santa Monica, CA

elray

Pay-TV is a term that refers to ... TV that you pay for - Cable, Satellite, MMDS and now, TelcoTV. Perhaps someday soon, some form of IPTV / OTT or virtual-CATV (Aereo) will join the classification.

In our situation, we have only one choice for pay-tv, the local cable monopoly.

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium Member
United State

linicx

Premium Member

We have the ugly twins: small cable and small telco; both are expensive and both provide Internet. Direct-TV thru Telco is more expensive than Dish by subscription.

Joe6
@comcast.net

Joe6 to skeechan

Anon

to skeechan
All in the eye of the beholder. Some things that US people consider wild, Japanese consider normal, and vice versa. There's a lot of stuff that is heavily censored when Japanese anime is exported to the USA for example.